Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your lumber storage

Show me your lumber storage

Hey Yall!

I've got a LOT of wood to move from the old basement shop to the new shop and i'm interested in seeing your vertical lumber storage solutions. In the basement I stored it horizontally to save space but it was always a pain getting anything out as Mr. Murphy always placed the piece I needed on the bottom of the stack. No More!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I am helpless with pics, but I just took some 2x4 pieces, drilled 1" holes about every 14 or 16", and cut some pieces of 3/4" gas pipe, same as you use for pipe clamps, put the pipe through the flat side of the 2x4, then drilled a hole through the pipe and 2x4 together, and ran screws through to hold the pipe into the board. I used rubber chair feet which fit over the pipe end so it will protect you or the kids from running into the pipe, and screwed the 2x4's horizontal to the wall, at different heights for different length boards. Hope not too confusing.

That's a solid idea Jim!

Do you have/need a stop on the floor to prevent boards from sliding out?
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

This the storage rack in the upstairs of my shop building...I recently removed a rack system from my shop-proper to gain some working space. A small project I have planned when the weather gets better is to install an interior "hatch" that will allow me to send longer boards down without going outside. The inside stairwell has a sharp bend that makes that very difficult otherwise. I still have some "primo" lumber stored over my miter station in the shop, but all other is upstairs and out of the way. I know you asked about vertical storage solutions, but I unfortunately don't have the head-room to do that...but it would have been nice, for sure! The pipe method mentioned above will work great for both vertical and horizontal storage needs, too!

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's mine. Severely overloaded wire rack garage shelving, and an offcut/sheet goods storage below that. Although it's got less wood on it lately since it's been a while since I bought anything.

15420959023_0d5a7c95ef_z.jpg

For the 2x4 with pipe through it, just drill the pipe holes at about a 5 degree angle and you shouldn't have a problem with the boards sliding off the end.

I tend to buy lumber specific to the project. I don't have enough ceiling height for vertical storage or the space for a lot of horizontal so this is it.
    It's a pretty old picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Write-up located here

Here is mine.
    Jaromir

Mine is similar to what Jim Andrew described. 2x4 screwed to the studs about 5' up from the floor with holes for 1" dowels about 15" long every 18" or so. The boards lean on the dowels rather than the wall, and I've had no problems with boards slipping or breaking the poplar dowels. The dowels are just a press fit in the 2x4. Very simple and holds up to six 12 foot boards of 10/4 hard maple in a single bay. I keep things very close to vertical to minimize the weight leaning on the dowels. My shop has wood floors and 12.5 foot ceilings. I would build a platform if I had concrete floors.
    I don't have a picture right now, but can take one if you want to see it.

image.jpg

Under basement stairs. Dang sideways picture. Still can't figure that one out.

Hi Brian,
    i just changed from horiz to vert (except for boards too tall for bsmt)
    I really ljke the access
    Pics are over on Workshop thread, within last few days titled Renovation Complete
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Mine are as most, horizontal, but I keep them up near the ceiling:

I have a wood floor in my storage area, and only problem I have with boards leaning out, is if the bottom end is not square. If they lean as I put them into storage, just turn them 180. Keep mine nearly straight up.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-01-2015 at 8:56 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just built a 12x16 shed to store all of my lumber. I had a 4x10 rack in my garage for horizontal storage but wound up with no room to work after purchasing a used Powermatic 81 bandsaw. I just finished moving it all to my shed. I would like to have vertical storage but my ceiling is only a bit over 8' and most of my lumber is 8-12 feet long. I plan to dedicate one wall of the shed to vertical storage for short pieces. While were on the topic, the slight deflection of boards laying horizontal on slightly uneven shelf supports bothers me slightly. How close is close enough to not worry about? I tried to get mine within 1/8" of flat, but the shed is sitting on pressure treated floor joists that are still drying and moving slightly, so my floor isn't and will probably never be perfectly flat.

Dan