Thread: DEWALT Hammerdrill Brushed vs. Brushless...?

DEWALT Hammerdrill Brushed vs. Brushless...?

I’m in the market for a new cordless hammerdrill. I’m a Dewalt guy with my drills and I think it’s time to make the jump to the 20v line up. I checked out the DCD985 and the DCD995 (brushless model) today. The DCD985 is a bit longer/larger and a tad heavier than the 995 but I liked the overall weight balance of it. I’ve read up on the brushless models where they say they will run up to 50%+ longer on a single charge than a brushed model. Does anybody know if that’s accurate? If so, that would probably be enough of a plus to talk me into the 995 and spend the extra $50 or so. If the brushless really isn’t that much of a noticeable improvement, I would have no problem going with the 985. I guess I’m looking for suggestions from some of you who have more experience with these new brushless tools.

Any feed would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have used the brushed motors and they do pretty well. Something that I was told to consider is that the life of a brushless motor is supposed to be substantially longer. I have no comparison between the two though. This is a nice article about brushless or not. I would for sure go with Lithium Ion though no question on that.

I've got the DeWalt 20v brushless impact and brushless multi-tools....IMO, their claims of longer runtimes are accurate, I almost forget where the charger is.

Unless it's a seldom used cordless tool, I'll get the brushless every time.

Ed

Unless you use the tool a WHOLE lot, brushes work fine. The extra life from the battery, if true, is an real advantage. I have both brushless and brushed DeWalt cordless tools and never notice the difference - but I don't use them for long work sessions.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the replies guys. Great article Daniel.

I'm not an everyday contractor but I'm much more than the few times a year guy. Maybe 3 times a week on average but some days it's for only 10 minutes.