Thread: Making flutes with a power carver....but which power carver to buy?

Making flutes with a power carver....but which power carver to buy?

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a 'flute master' which, as the name implies, is designed to make flutes on the lathe. Its use requires a die grinder or either a Weecher, Foredom or Mastercarver flex-shaft rotary tool. I am debating between the Foredom and the Mastercarver. Here are some specs (as I understand them) comparing the two:

Foredom

• 1/3 hp
    • 18,000 max rpm
    • uses up to 1/4" shank bits (via interchangeable collets)
    • comes with one handpiece
    • $329

Mastercarver
    • 1/2 hp
    • 30,000 max rpm
    • uses up to 1/4" shank bits (no collet required)
    • comes with two handpieces
    • $217

The higher rpm, more hp and lower price makes the Mastercarver attractive. Has anyone had to make the decision between these two machines? Which one did you choose? Other opinions? Comments? Any guidance and/or words of wisdom are appreciated.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Well, if you already have a router, you can do it that way with a jig and guide. I think they are a little more heavy duty than the carving tools. Hand held would be impossible. Not sure how many you want to make.

robo hippy

I second Robo's comments. A router seems to me the better choice.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

those mini routers with a box and make a stand to fit in your tool rest holder are pretty good, do everything on the lathe

I do mostly free hand stuff just with a dremel, has two speeds......15,000 and 35,000 rpms. biggest drawback is the dremel body gets in the way of the craving, that's where the foredom and mastercarver has it all over the dremel.......never used either and do not have a mini router......have seen the router with box and stand demonstrated

flutes should be easily made with a dremel, some wood files , and good ole 80 grit.......always have at least one small defect in it so observers know it was hand done and not a cnc machine, big difference in price
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 03-02-2015 at 8:04 AM.

This is the link for the Flute Master - the device that prompted my inquiry.

http://www.flutemasters.com

I have already built a platform for a router, but the Flute Master allows for spiral flutes as welll (with additional equipment) and this is what has me looking into it.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have the Wecheer and it works with the Flutemaster. Is the Wecheer as good as the Foredom? I have had mine for 3 years, but it is not used everyday or even every week, but I have not had any problems with it. I also have a Foredom, the hand pieces interchange between the Wecheer and the Foredom, so that is a plus.

On edit, don't kink the flex shaft on either of them, keep the shafts as straight as possible. Tight bends will cost you the price of anew inner shaft.

Mastercarver is the way to go, I have a carving friend that has several of them, and he swears by them. I think I'll buy me one, now that you reminded me. Thanks.

well William, ya got me hankering for a flex shaft carver.....checked amazon.....they have an attachment for the dremel (check your model #) not sure how I will like it but hey I have not ordered any tools in a while (the city appreciates it on the machinery and tool tax, I would hate for them not to have to recalculate my inventory)

The Dremel doesn't have the power to route flutes like the others, also the bearings on the flex shaft are loose as a goose. I tried it more than once because I wanted a dedicated power unit set up with the Flutemaster, the handle is odd size, so I fixed that, that's when I found out how sloppy the bearings were. I quickly converted to my Wecheer hand piece and all I have to do is hook up the Foredom or Wecheer power unit and I am good to go. I bought an extra hand piece with the 1/4" chuck, it stays mounted in the Flutemaster, perfectly centered, etc. for each use.

Foredom

• 1/3 hp
    • 18,000 max rpm
    • uses up to 1/4" shank bits (via interchangeable collets)
    • comes with one handpiece
    • $329

Mastercarver

• 1/2 hp
    • 30,000 max rpm
    • uses up to 1/4" shank bits (no collet required)
    • comes with two handpieces
    • $217

my dremel has two settings......15,000 rpms and 35,000 rpms........there are a lot of different models of dremel.....
    I have the model 285.......not sure if there is low end power on these things....we will see.......I do use it for carving now but have issues with the body getting in the way, hopefully the flex shaft will answer those.......there was another flex shaft that was longer and they had it tied in a knot.....but it would not fit my dremel model......it did fit about 5 other models of dremel.......my first flutes were done with coping saw, wood files, and 80 grit sandpaper......it is all a matter of degree of want to and $$$$

Hi all.
    I used my Dremel for several years, until it was too hot to handle. I then purchased a Foredom, and then realized how loose the bearings on the flex shaft were. The Foredom has all the power and finesse that I need (oh yeah, with my shakes? Ideas for another or maybe bionic arm?). I wouldn't go back to the Dremel for woodworking again.

John Raine

Foredom says they rate their motor for 'continuous' horsepower while other manufacturers rate for 'peak power'. Under that scheme their motor would rate much higher - 1/3 to 1/2 hp.

I've been looking at the Grizzly G9928 $66.98 5/16" keyed chuck.
    g9928-558b055895e12ecd6218832129e6efc4.jpg

Or the MicroLux
    85288_R.jpg$99.95 1/4hp 0-22K RPM 5/32 keyed chuck

But my usage would be very limited. I use a micro-motor for fine work. I think the Flute Master looks to be way too simple to bother buying unless you wanted the Spiral Cutter. His examples leave me cold.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 03-05-2015 at 8:54 AM. Reason: Link to tools
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    well William, ya got me hankering for a flex shaft carver.
    If you are patient, you might be able to find an industrial flex shaft from an old Walker Turner (or similar) machine.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=10689

I found two of these, used for about $25 each. They're about 8 feet long and weigh 5 lbs+. Not wimpy.

One is hooked up to a grinder for 3450 rpm and about 1 hp. Works well with burr bits for carving and even tried small router bits (not great)
    The other is on a 1.5 hp, 1700 rpm motor and I use that for sanding inside bowls. 2-4" disks on end.

the bigger motors are nice and quiet and will run all day without getting hot.
    Just a thought.

Olaf