Thread: Flame Finial

Flame Finial

Its cold outside but 70 and sunny in the shop so a great day for playing with the indexer. Inspiration by a Legacy video on youtube
    Attached Images Attached Images

That turned out great Dan. I regret not purchasing an indexer when I bought my CNC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful work Dan.

How about sharing some specifics like how long it took and how many tool changes.

3 tool changes- 4 total toolpaths, (although automatic I have a camaster X3 head) Rounding to 4 inch, 1.5 surfacing bit. Hollow flames, .25 end mill. Rough 3d 1.5 surfacing, Finish 3d .25 ball noise. Next time I would rough 3d with a .5 em to get a little closer so I could eliminate the cut deep plunge on the first cut of the finish pass. About 2.5 hours total time. Slow in some aspects but hollow spirals and indexed coves on a profile take time and jigs need to be made to be done on a standard lathe. And of course the next hundred will be the same as the first. Dan