Thread: Self tapping wood screws

Self tapping wood screws

Whilst digging out from yrs of accumulated stuff i ran across about 40lb of stainless 2" wood screws
    i been using them a little
    pls explain why not just order all self tapping- not all stainless, of course?
    anyhthing other than concern about too much compression of surrounding wood fibers? I mean wood fibers are essentially empty straws, right?
    The application here is to affix two pieces rigidly (w predrling you get freedom of shank to move, etc
    how many of u use self tapping and for what uses?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    In my shop, driving screws without pilot holes would be done in the same level of item I would use a brad nailer on. Some things are slammed together, some are assembled. A lot of the screws I have are self-drilling but, I rarely use them that way (I actually rarely use screws so my opinion carries little weight here ). The self-drilling tip just happened to come with the style I wanted, or they were part of a kit, or on clearance or something. Don't get me wrong, I try to use only very high quality screws when I do use them. I am just more often concerned with the head type and material strength than the tip. Its all about using the right type of fastener for what you're doing. If you are dong something that doesn't warrant pilot holes, a self-drilling tip is only sensible. If you're using pilot holes it doesn't really matter unless you are counting on holding power at the tip.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-01-2015 at 9:21 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use them for softer types woods. I have the Spax screws and they work very well. Probably not as nice as the ones you have.
    Self tapping screws tend to split harder woods, and any of the tropical woods I use will break the self tapper off before it's driven home.
    Like everything else, they have a purpose and if used in a consistent manner, they are a great aid.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Kreg pocket screws are self drilling, but I find they crack the board occasionally, especially close to the end of a board, so I drill a pilot hole.

Blog Entries
    I have tapered drill bits for drilling pilot holes. They were a great investment. The tapered hole will strengthen the joint. Also, all of the threads engage at the same time and produces incredible clamping force. The hole accommodates the head also. I wouldn't be without the kit. I have the Lee Valley kit. I will not set screws without a pilot hole.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have tapered drill bits for drilling pilot holes. They were a great investment. The tapered hole will strengthen the joint. Also, all of the threads engage at the same time and produces incredible clamping force. The hole accommodates the head also. I wouldn't be without the kit. I have the Lee Valley kit. I will not set screws without a pilot hole.
    Yes, i have the Fuller set, and use them when there are going to be a lot of stresses across a little area
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I have zero use for self taping screws. Zip. Nada.

Hate them. You want a screw to hold without splitting? Drill a pilot hole and drive it in slowly.

I guess they could be useful for framing but I don't do that anymore.