Thread: suspicious router purchase on eBay

suspicious router purchase on eBay

I bought an Elu 3339 and it arrived yesterday. It's in fine shape, runs good, variable speed works and there's no bearing whine. It arrived as the router with 1/2" collet, plus edge guide. Nothing else. No wrench, manual, case, 1/4" collet.
    Who owns and ships a router minus the wrench? What are the odds this thing is stolen? Should I care?

Let's see, a storage unit person, someone who inherited it, a knucklehead... The list goes on.

I wouldn't care but that's just me. The router I have in my table I have no idea where the case is at this point or anything else that came with it I haven't used in years. I do know where the manual is. As far as the wrench, I usually use a better one then they come with. Who knows where the original is. Or maybe the guy kept it for another tool he has that it fits?

Why not just ask the seller? Maybe they haven't used it in so long they forgot what came with it. Maybe you will get lucky, maybe not, but you will probably at least get an answer. Won't cost anything to ask.

I purchased my router off of craigslist and it was like that. It was a woodworkers estate sale left overs so it was picked through pretty well. I bought a porter cable 690 + 2 bases for $55. The OEM wrench is $9 on amazon and the base is $75 so even with a new base & accessories I'm still better off than a new purchase.

Mark: I suspect from the way you positioned the question, that you are questioning whether, ethically, should you be concerned with the provenance of the tool? The fact that you ask indicates a sensitivity and concern for the issue. In my opinion, you have - by your posting - fulfilled your obligation in that regard. Anyone reading the forum that had lost such a router through nefarious means would know how to contact you. You can move on with a clear conscience.

With regards to the missing parts, a google search for Elu 3339 provides some sources.

Was it used? If the listing stated all those missing items in the description, you've got a legitimate complaint with Ebay/the supplier. If not listed specifically, it's best not to make assumptions about what'll come with it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Why would the thief take everything but the wrench? More likely the guy forgot to include the wrench, or his wife didn't know there was supposed to be a wrench. Stolen is about the least likely explanation.

On eBay, if you want to make sure that the accessories come with the tool, especially if they're not mentioned in the listing, you must ask. Sellers may not even know that those accessories are considered a standard part of the kit. Many sellers are "sellers" and not "woodworkers".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

"Why would the thief take everything but the wrench? "
    An easy one. When I was robbed of some 16 routers, the thieves had only so much time. The wrenches were not stored with the routers. The couldn't find them!

Several years ago, in a pawn shop were several tools with owner's name and phone number on them. Because I wanted to make sure they weren't stolen before purchasing, I called owner. He told me that Judge Bullock told him if he had $500 of back child support in by five PM that day, them he didn't need to bring his tooth brush with him to court the next day. Most of my tools were bought used, and most if not all were missing manuals, wrenches etc. If I wanted what came with new, then I should buy new. But that's not my game plan. Used at less than half price has served me well.

Almost every used router and shaper I've bought or been given has been missing something. Case? Gone. Wrenches? Gone. 1/4" collets....no chance. Some of the shapers I bought are missing rings from the table, almost all of them were missing wrenches. But a good wrench from Master carr is around $9, and I saves thousands on the shapers, hundreds on the routers. Should you be concerned that it is stolen? Probably not. 100 other explanations make more sense than idiot stealing a router and creating a paper trail by selling goods on national auction website then shipping and making a minor theft into a federal issue. Enjoy the router!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Thanks everyone! I'm good with it. I did ask the seller but he didn't offer any explanation beyond "you received what was pictured". True. Personally I would have stated it in the description.

I'm looking forward to replacing my PC 690 in my router table with this beast. I'm sure the 1/4" Lexan plate is too thin for the extra weight so this purchase will probably lead to a new top, plate, lift, fence, dust collection, more & bigger bits... ;-)

And a wrench. LOL

A lot of stuff gets on eBay when someone who doesn't know squat about it comes across one and thinks "I bet I could get some money for this on eBay". Missing accessories don't necessarily indicate theft or fraud, but likely ignorance!