Thread: Where can I buy round files that arent tapered?

Where can I buy round files that arent tapered?

All I have are rat-tail files, which are tapered. Both Ron Hock and Mike Dunbar suggest using chainsaw files to shape molding plane irons and scratch stocks because they ARENT tapered. They say you get a better result and that they are available in "several smaller diameters." Looking for chainsaw files, I only find a couple sizes (around 3/8") but Id really like to buy several smaller too, if anyone makes them.

Can anyone suggest a source for good files that fit the bill here? Id sure appreciate a hand.

Thank you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Look for chainsaw files.

My chainsaw file is 5/32. I just buy them in my local hardware store.

Nut files, used for filing round bottomed slots for guitar strings, should work. They are available in various sizes down to .01"

Most common sizes are 5/32, 3/16, and 7/32's for chainsaws. Bailey's online if you can't find them locally.

Just what I need. Thanks guys!

I use drill bit shanks, sandpaper, and diamond lapping film for final sharpening of the shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I use drill bit shanks, sandpaper, and diamond lapping film for final sharpening of the shapes.
    "Huh?", sez the new as he slaps his forehead.

I never thought of that idea. I'll try that. Thanks Tom!