Thread: G&G Inspired Wall Cabinet

Blog Entries

G&G Inspired Wall Cabinet

Scaled to hold three rows of CD jewel boxes. Sipo with ebony and bacote detail.

GnG Wall Cab (169).jpg . GnG Wall Cab (171).jpg . GnG Wall Cab (161).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice, Glenn. Very nice indeed. Especially the handle and the door muntins/rails.

You got a closeup of the btm corner joinery?

EDIT: Photo #2 - What's the story with the overhead lumber rack in the background? Looks interesting - but it doesn't hold much wood - you gotta have more than that sitting around? Staging for in-process projects?
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 03-01-2015 at 2:54 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks much Kent. Hope I'm shooting the right bottom corner. The unit is on it's back. Sorry about the harsh lighting.

GnG Wall Cab (173).jpg . GnG Wall Cab (174).jpg

I just put the door in this morning and its already dusty . Of course, I have been cleaning up around the shop so, that could be responsible

GnG Wall Cab (175).jpg

The piece isn't really made to stand on its own but here it is in an upright position, each from bottom corner.

GnG Wall Cab (176).jpg . GnG Wall Cab (177).jpg

You hit the nail on the head about the lumber racks. I have two sets of "surge" racks for material that is involved in a build. I pick out my stock for color and figure and then toss it in these overheads so it is sorted out and handy as I am breaking down parts. Simple scrap plywood with notches cut in them that hang from the rafters.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-01-2015 at 3:47 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Glenn -

Nicely done. Nicely, Nicely.

Those are the corners I was asking about. Never done that - I am Stickley-esq guy when in A+C mode. But - I have been to Pasadena a few times, for tours thru the G+G places. Killer stuff. I always think about it.

The square pegs - Ebony? Or ebonized summit else?

On the storage racks - He SHOOTS - He SCORES!!!!! Pat myself on the back, if you don't mind............

I sat here looking at that and asked myself : "Self - if you were to do that, Why?" I'm not sure that would work for me, because I have wall-mounted racks easily accessible, and I get everything organized up front. But - I CAN tell you that is a clever solution to a common problem, and I will not forget it - some day, somewhere..........

Anyhooo - thanks.

Great work, as always, on the piece and the shop thought process.

Very best regards,

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Beautiful work Glenn. What's the finish?

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The square pegs - Ebony? Or ebonized summit else?
    Gaboon ebony. They go in before the last couple of coats of finish to avoid the fussiness of unwanted build-up around them.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Beautiful work Glenn. What's the finish?

John
    An oil varnish blend that I have morphed a bit over the years. Basically the typical 1:1:1 of oil, varnish and mineral spirits. I vary it depending on the material and the effect I'm after. The sipo, like African mahogany, can go pretty orange on you (which I don't particularly care for; that's just a personal preference).

The cure here was a blend that was heavy on the oil and a fully flooded first coat to darken things up. I then use a more balanced mix for the next few coats and end with two that are varnish heavy to provide a little better protection and build enough film to let me "finish the finish" as they say . As a contrary example, I would use a thinner mix and a lighter application of the first coat on something like Peruvian walnut which is already almost wenge-dark. This lighter mix acts as a sealer and following coats ride on this for build, without contributing to the coloration much.

GnG Wall Cab (178).jpg

Here it is on the wall.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-02-2015 at 7:21 PM. Reason: 274

– Samuel Butler

I like your style Glenn !

I have used oil,turpentine,varnish 1:1:1 on many projects. My only issue with it is how long it takes to get it to build up.(if that is what one is after). I apply it once a day for a week,once a week for a month,once a month for a year.

Wow, I really like that, great design and proportions and great choice of wood. Excellent job overall !

Beautifully executed Glenn!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....