Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to turn 1" Dog holes into 3/4" dog holes

How to turn 1" Dog holes into 3/4" dog holes

I have a Sjoberg's Elite workbench. One incredibly annoying part about it is that it has 1" dog holes, instead of 3/4" dog holes. Now they make 1 type of hold down for them, and nobody else does, so all of those neat accessories for dog holes aren't usable.

What would be the best way to reduce the hole size to 3/4" to make them more usable? I've thought of metal bushings, but I wonder about other ideas.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-01-2015 at 3:11 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I have restored failed dog holes by drilling to a consistent 1" size, epoxying in a hardwood (oak, ash, maple) dowel piece and re-drilling. No failure to date and being wood, you can enlarge by drilling or fill later if desired.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have restored failed dog holes by drilling to a consistent 1" size, epoxying in a hardwood (oak, ash, maple) dowel piece and re-drilling. No failure to date and being wood, you can enlarge by drilling or fill later if desired.
    I agree. That's what I'd do. Fill the holes - use good glue - and redrill.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you have access to a lathe, I would pick up a long, straight length of 1" hardwood dowel, cut it to length matching the thickness of your bench, leaving a bit more to face off square to the correct length. Chuck this into the lathe and drill out the center to .75" with a 45 degree chamfer at one end. You should be able to make a dozen or so pretty quickly and then glue in place with chamfer facing up.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 03-01-2015 at 3:46 PM.

If you have a lathe, you should make face grain plugs.

No lathe, unfortunately. Sounds like a good game plan.

Any pre-made solutions to this? I thought about steel bushings, but don't know if they would be too tight for bench dogs.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

plug cutter. Use contrasting lumber. Decorate your mistake.

To me, only way to go is fill w dowel and redrill
    i have lusted after sjoborg bench- but i really dont like it when mfg makes u buy their accessories
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    To me, only way to go is fill w dowel and redrill
    i have lusted after sjoborg bench- but i really dont like it when mfg makes u buy their accessories
    I could almost deal with that if they made accessories. But they make just one.

One way would be a sleeve. They make some the right size and 1.5" long.

Blog Entries
    Make it a contrasting color and it will look like an intended detail.

If you want to use holdfasts, I'd glue in a dowel and redrill at 3/4" (maybe offset a bit from the current holes). I don't know if the wedging action necessary for a firm grip would work with a sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    If you want to use holdfasts, I'd glue in a dowel and redrill at 3/4" (maybe offset a bit from the current holes). I don't know if the wedging action necessary for a firm grip would work with a sleeve.
    I don't use holdfasts (especially since I couldn't), so don't think I'd miss them.

Things like planing stops, clamps, etc.. would be nice.

I kinda like the idea of contrasting woods. Which hardwoods would be hard enough for a drilled out dowel? Would any contrasting hardwoods do?

Unfortunately, I don't have a lathe, so I might have to deal with sleeves / steel bushings which are far, far more costly. Are they the same thing?

Anyone know of any good reasonably priced sources for bushings / sleeves?

Actually, maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

Should I just drill multiple new 3/4" holes in the workbench / vises? That bushing that Lee Valley sells for that looks pretty nice. I'd have a boatload of holes in my workbench, but would that present a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Actually, maybe I'm asking the wrong question.

Should I just drill multiple new 3/4" holes in the workbench / vises? That bushing that Lee Valley sells for that looks pretty nice. I'd have a boatload of holes in my workbench, but would that present a problem?
    Just drill holes as you need them.