Thread: Walnut live edge coffee table

Walnut live edge coffee table

I haven't posted here for some time now, however I finally have something to show.

I started on this coffee table perhaps 8-9 months back by glueing up the top and doing the butterfly keys, then it just sat around the shop waiting for further inspiration.

I wanted to do something different for the base, when finally I settled on a 3 legged design and this is my take on it.

Table top is Walnut ( live edge ) base legs are also Walnut ( live edge ) with a lower stretcher of figured maple to tie in with the butterfly keys.

Joints are all assembled with either M & T or notched bridle joints. Table top measures 1 3/8"thick x 21" at the narrow end with the butterfly keys and 24" at the other by 51" in length.
    These pictures show the table with it's first coat of finish applied.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John: I like the base, very much. The slanted legs on the left side, and then the small arc on the one leg . The board that connects the two leg units, is slanted down, and ties it all together to my eye. I think the base is rustic and really does justice to the top. So many times the undercarriage has no relationship to the top, so this total design appeals to me. Hope you post more, soon.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Hello John,

I too very much like the base, the lines give it solidity and also motion.

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I love everything about this piece except...I can't help but think of somebody sitting on the end without the broad support and tipping it over. That end looks very cantilevered - is that an illusion?