Thread: 60 Minutes - Lumber Liquidators - Formaldehyde

60 Minutes - Lumber Liquidators - Formaldehyde

Just watched an interesting episode of 60 Minutes about Lumber Liquidators.......basically the company is accused of buying their laminate flooring from factories in China that purposely mislabel the product as being compliant with the California standards for formaldehyde when in reality it emits the toxic gas in excess of 100 times the CA standard.

Apparently, Formaldehyde is a common ingredient in the glue that is used when manufacturing the laminate flooring (FYI - Formaldehyde is also a known off gas of delrin).

I wonder if anyone has developed a Formaldehyde detector that I could attach to my laser to see how much is really coming off that wood I'm cutting.......
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I wonder if anyone has developed a Formaldehyde detector that I could attach to my laser to see how much is really coming off that wood I'm cutting.......
    Google "Formaldehyde sensor", lots of hits.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

That was a very unfavorable piece on Lumber Liquidators.
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 03-01-2015 at 8:57 PM.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Also illustrating that UL and the rest of the labeled products from China, is just that... a label. No standards met, just the label.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

China Drywall.... another interesting topic....

"we don't need no stinkin rules..."
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I got the feeling that LL was complicit in this matter so I wouldn't lay it all on the Chinese.

On the other hand when we were sourcing microwave ovens out of Korea we found that we could not trust the Koreans to stick to the specs. Our competitors had found the same and placed an engineer on scene. We ended up sourcing ours through our competitor just to be sure we were getting what we paid for.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree that the Chinese can't be trusted.......which makes me wonder how safe some of the things we are cutting are.....even if the label says it is "safe".

I also didn't realize that Formaldehyde was a key ingredient in cheap glue.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw