Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandpaper source

Sandpaper source

I've always bought my sandpaper from HD. Always bought the norton stuff and now they've switched to 3M. It's gone up in price so I'm just looking around. Found a couple threads on here that listed klingspor sandpaper. I'm looking for sheets not discs. I've looked at the site and it's a lot more complicated than walking into HD.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/categ...1=9%22+X+11%22

What is the general sandpaper? Klingspor gold? Not looking to pay a bunch per sheet, but looking for quality in bulk. Does anyone have a go to sandpaper from here or somewhere else?

www.industrialabrasives.com is the best in my 25 years of purchasing for commercial shops. Family owned and good service.

Also try Supergrit.com. I hear you! I got tired of being jerked around by changing sandpaper brands so I order everything now.
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 03-02-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I hate that new 3m stuff with the sticky backing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    www.industrialabrasives.com is the best in my 25 years of purchasing for commercial shops. Family owned and good service.
    Looking at their 9x11 sheets. Is there a big difference between the brown cabinet paper and the Premium Rhyno sheets? Not working in a professional environment, is it worth the extra 25% cost?

I use and love Indasa Rhyno dry. Don't know if its the same as the Premium. The best thing I love about the Indasa paper is the grit consistency. I've used cheap paper with varying grits on the sheet. makes lots of swirls and gouges. The Indasa paper doesn't seem to do that. I think its worh the extra price. I also think the paper lasts longer that the "average" HD paper. So that saves me money in the long run. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I use and love Indasa Rhyno dry. Don't know if its the same as the Premium. The best thing I love about the Indasa paper is the grit consistency. I've used cheap paper with varying grits on the sheet. makes lots of swirls and gouges. The Indasa paper doesn't seem to do that. I think its worh the extra price. I also think the paper lasts longer that the "average" HD paper. So that saves me money in the long run. Just my $0.02.

http://www.indasa.com.au/rynolox_redline.html

Are you referencing the Rhyno-Dry Plus papers with the latex backing? Or the regular d wt paper? Thanks for the info thus far.

I use RhynoDry white line. Give it a try. I think you'll like it. Got the info from the link you sent. I can get it from a local dealer, so I don't go on line. For some reason, lots of sandpaper places don't ship here. I use the sticky paper too. The sticky paper goes on automotive sanding blocks. They are made the same size. Automotive sanding blocks are pretty flat.
    http://www.indasa.com.au/whiteline.html

This is what I use from Klingspore http://www.woodworkingshop.com/produ.../#.VPTruOFJNVc

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    So just looking at their sanding discs. The "RhynoGrip" series of paper, any comments?
    http://www.industrialabrasives.com/hook-loop-discs-sheets-58-hole-rhynogrip-hook-loop-discs-c-201_253.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
    I've looked at the site and it's a lot more complicated than walking into HD.
    I would say this is similar to the Norton.

I use this, this and this depending what I'm doing. Just like your chisels or drill bits, one sandpaper type does not do everything. A lot of the industrial papers are a surprise if you are used to light paper backed abrasives. Some of them are quite stiff which is great for flat surfaces. Other products are purposely flexible for contours and curves.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

West Coaster, but living near the H20 in Eastern MA
    I use the 'sticky' 3M 9.5x11 (purple)paper on my 1ft square granite tile. It holds really well after a stroke or two. I use it to flatten and polish hand plane soles, chisels, general sharpening, etc. HD recently started a switch to a newer style with the same characteristics from 3M. I recall it is supposed to have a more uniform grit than the previous. In any case, for a change(!!!) I timed it just right, as the older stuff was all on sale at 50% off. So I loaded up( no pun :-)) ) on all I could at a great saving.

13. About all I buy now is klingspor, I have been using their economy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    About all I buy now is klingspor, I have been using their economy stuff.
    As in this?
    http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sh80100/

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I would say this is similar to the Norton.

I use this, this and this depending what I'm doing. Just like your chisels or drill bits, one sandpaper type does not do everything. A lot of the industrial papers are a surprise if you are used to light paper backed abrasives. Some of them are quite stiff which is great for flat surfaces. Other products are purposely flexible for contours and curves.
    Glen, Can you provide a comparison between the 1st and the 3rd you mention? The red vs the gold? IE what they are best suited for in your work, strengths/weaknesses, etc.