Thread: M-Power DMT PSS: can anyone recommend this sharpening setup?

M-Power DMT PSS: can anyone recommend this sharpening setup?

A sliding fixture holds a diamond stone and runs on the keyway of the fixed part, on which the chisel or plane iron is held. One side for 30, the other for 25 degrees.

Sold in the UK as by Trend, sold here by Woodpeckers. See it here. http://www.woodpeck.com/dmtpss.html

And of course on YouTube.

That is a lot of money for a tiny diamond stone and a not very versatile jig. I'd recommend a full size stone and if you must jig use something like an eclipse or one of the variants of it. But better yet, freehand it.

Blog Entries
    A sliding fixture holds a diamond stone and runs on the keyway of the fixed part, on which the chisel or plane iron is held. One side for 30, the other for 25 degrees.
    +1 on what Bridger said about the lack of versatility.

What happens if one wants a different bevel angle?

How about micro bevels?

My #8 blade is too wide for that and many other holders.

What about my hatchets and axes?

Shovels and kitchen knives?

There is always someone looking to have a path beaten to their door by inventing a new mouse trap when there are plenty already waiting to be used.

Working with wood means one will have to deal with tools becoming dull. At one time there were no "fool proof" methods of keeping a tool sharp. It may have taken me a little time to learn to sharpen by hand. Now everything from garden tools and kitchen knives to my woodworking tools have fine edges without the aide of something sucking cash from my wallet.

At one time my preference was for water stones. Of late most of my sharpening has been done on oilstones. When the weather gets warmer, it will likely be back to the water stones for many things.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)