Thread: Weekend flea market finds

Weekend flea market finds

Went out and about to hit a few flea markets / antique stores this weekend, and I managed to find a few items that I can use to continue growing my small collection of tools.

First things first. I picked up my first Stanley Bailey plane, a #4. It looks like it's in great shape and just needs to get cleaned up and sharpened. I'll also check for flatness on the sole.

Next, I ran across a Stanley #78 Duplex Rabbet/Rebate and Fillister plane. I've never held one of these planes, and still need to learn about all of the possibilities for its use. But it looks pretty interesting. It has a bit of rust, but I think it should clean up nicely.

And lastly, I nabbed a basic saw set and a Stanley #61 marking gage.

Hopefully they'll all provide some welcome assistance as I dive into neader woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Nice finds. It looks like the #78 may be missing the rod for the fence.

Flea market finds are the first harbingers of spring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

3. I wish we had anything that even resembled a flea market here in utah.

Actually, if you look at the first photo of the #78 you'll see the rod peeking out on the rear side of the plane.

Apparently, you can remove it and move it to either side for ambidextrous work. At least that's what I think I remember in a description I was reading.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schubert View Post
    Actually, if you look at the first photo of the #78 you'll see the rod peeking out on the rear side of the plane.

Apparently, you can remove it and move it to either side for ambidextrous work. At least that's what I think I remember in a description I was reading.
    Glad that it is there. Yes, using a rabbet/filister plane ambidextrously is one of those things that has to be done.

There is always some squirrelly grain that has to be dealt with "from the other side."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Nice finds, I still need to find a 78.

Chris

I need to find the fence rod for a 78. Or more likely, make one. Anybody know what thread they have?

Blog Entries
    Stanley used threads that are listed among thread standards, though they are mostly unused by others.

A quick search on ebay > Stanley 78 parts < found a few including item #151271096468. It appears someone is making them.

The description says the thread is 1/4-28. This is a common thread on many Stanley products.

BTW, at one time some modern manufacture threaded rods for the Stanley 45, type 6 and earlier, were sold on ebay. They needed to be sanded a little bit to work on my plane.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-02-2015 at 1:09 PM. Reason: BTW

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike williams54 View Post
    I wish we had anything that even resembled a flea market here in utah.
    I'm with you! The county I live in is just under half the size of the state Connecticut. In 1930 census there was only ~55K people. By contrast, Connecticutt had 1.6M people in 1930. So there isn't a population of people and tools to draw upon around here.

i am not trying to pick on Conecticut, but using it as an example.

to the OP - good score!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks, Shawn! After looking around at the prices for those 78's, I think I got a sweet deal! Can't wait to sharpen it up and try it out. Then again...I might need a bench first... one step at a time.

St. James Bay Tool (Google it) lists them for just $3, although you'll pay more for the postage.

The No. 78 plane is condescendingly described by some as a carpenter's tool, but I find mine quite helpful for a lot of work. Takes a little while to learn how to set depth; you need a delicate hand on the depth adjusting lever. And remember not to "ride" the lever as you plane, or you'll lose your setting. But it doesn't take long to learn.

Almost thought you meant the plane! The rods are $3. Interesting site, though. There are definitely some tools I've not seen before. Thanks for the tip, Bill!