Thread: Type hinges for this cabinet door

Type hinges for this cabinet door

I kind of confuse - what kind of European hinges do I need to install with this wall/door construction - inset or partial overlay?
    Pics for hinges.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have a look here. Look at the section on Inset Door hinges under no. 2.

Edited to add: Here's a hinge Rockler lists for your application. http://www.rockler.com/silentia-fram...d-inset-hinges
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-02-2015 at 9:47 AM.

The answer depends on dimensions, which you don't supply. However, eyeballing your diagram, I'm going to guess that your door is 3/4" thick, and the wall of your cabinet is an inch thick or so. The rabbet on the wall, I'm guessing, is 3/4" by 3/4". So what you have is a full overlay door, with a quarter-inch layer stuck on the outside face of the wall. Full-overlay means that the hinge is set up so that the door overlays the wall by 3/4".

However, if I'm guessing wrong about the dimensions of the rabbet, you may want a different hinge. Put dimensions on your drawing.

Both thickness 3/4", sorry I just drawn picture without proportion. If I understand correctly - in this case I would need an partial overlay hinge?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The answer depends on dimensions, which you don't supply. However, eyeballing your diagram, I'm going to guess that your door is 3/4" thick, and the wall of your cabinet is an inch thick or so. The rabbet on the wall, I'm guessing, is 3/4" by 3/4". So what you have is a full overlay door, with a quarter-inch layer stuck on the outside face of the wall. Full-overlay means that the hinge is set up so that the door overlays the wall by 3/4".

However, if I'm guessing wrong about the dimensions of the rabbet, you may want a different hinge. Put dimensions on your drawing.
    Pics for hinges.jpg

Yes, for that drawing, you want a partial overlay hinge. If buy from a full-stocking distributor, you can mix and match parts to get any amount of overlay you want. If you buy from a source like Rockler, the only choice you'll get is "half overlay". It is intended to give you a little less than 3/8" overlay -- that is, two half overlay doors back to back with a little clearance between them.
    If you really want 1/2" overlay, go to http://www.wwhardware.com/blum-120-c...lum-120-hinges, and look at the second downloadable pdf. The important thing to understand is that each hinge on your cabinet really consists of a part that Blum calls the hinge, plus a part Blum calls the hinge mounting plate. Mounting plates come in a variety of thicknesses, and provide a variety of overlays.

Jamie is right on here. I build cabinets every day. If you follow the link below and click on the second "download information" option, you will see a chart that shows the relationships between the various hinges, mounting plates , and "bore distance" (the distance from edge of door to edge of hinge-cup hole)

ww hardware

It can be confusing at first. I think you want an overlay of a little less than 1/2"---about 12mm. So, on the chart you can find a couple ways to get there. For instance, a straight-arm hinge, a 3mm mounting plate height, and a 4mm boring distance.

If you buy a generic "half-overlay" hinge set-up, you will get about 5/16" overlay, with about 1/8" adjustment room. Might work, but might give you a bigger gap than you want.

many thanks for the info.
    Ed.