Thread: Speciality long series brad point drills - good for a laugh!

Speciality long series brad point drills - good for a laugh!

Bought a pack of long series brad points from an EBay seller last week. The picture below was the 1/8th just before it went in the bin - a special version made from bubble gum for drilling around corners...

More seriously. At the price I wasn't expecting a lot, but semi hard carbon steel and capable of drilling a few holes would have been good enough. These ones (from a US business fronting as XYZ tools - not the real name) broke all records for taking the piss. (irish/UK expression)

As well as being from mild steel or something very similar the points were clearly ground by somebody that (a) had a shake in their hands (most of tips had spurious bits missing where the grinder touched for a moment before the guy changed his mind/decided that knocking a random edge off would tidy up the look), and (b) had no idea as to what was needed if the edge was to cut. The classic bit of wire filed to a double bevel edge would probably do a lot better. A set of taper drilling countersinks was just as bad.

Hard to know whether to laugh or to cry - or even to work up the enthusiam to take it up through EBay. It seems unlikey that a replacement set would be any different. Hard to know what the mindset of the importer must be. Heaven knows too what the guy who made them was paid...

ian

dodgy duro brad point 1:8 2-3-15.jpg
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.

That picture is priceless, Peter.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Funny. I just went through the same thing. Needed some longer bits, eBay looked good, said tempered and polished. 3/8" bit could not even make a hole in pine. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That picture is priceless, Peter.

Mike
    Dittos -- at least you could not say the seller didn't warn you!

How much did your bubble gum bit cost? I would frame that and hang it on the wall.
    That is cool.

That's a good suggestion Kyle. The set of 7 up to 1/2in cost around $15, so they were never likely to be top end. I thought though they might be the usual box store (just about working, but not great) quality - but that would have done for the odd job requiring the length. The website of the named importer turns out not to be working, so who knows what the story was...

Brad point? More like 'bad' point.

Are you sure you didn't mistakenly order 'twist' bits instead of 'brad point'?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Brad point? More like 'bad' point. Are you sure you didn't mistakenly order 'twist' bits instead of 'brad point'?
    Well done! Double pun!

LOL
    Bad point twist bit!

At least it didn't set you back too much money. That is worth the laugh and punmanship...

It's now art. Hang it on the wall.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Think i will actually Chris. Good as a joke talking point..

That's definitely a "bit" of a new "twist" on things. Don't let the situation "spiral" out of control. Seriously though I think that's the worst instance of a junk drill bit I have ever seen. Usually they are so poorly heat treated they shatter like glass when stressed. I think you are safe on that one.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I hit a knot with a similar quality 12"x 3/16" brad point bit. It straightened the twist.