Thread: Mezzanine Dust Collector?

Mezzanine Dust Collector?

I'm thinking about locating my Powermatic dust collector on an open mezzanine directly above most of my woodworking machines. Is there any pitfalls to this approach, i.e. not enough power to draw up to about 12 in height?

Hi Steve,
    I built an attached room--outside access only-- to house my 2hp cyclone. Keeps noise and dustiness down. The 7" main line enters the shop ~~10' from floor level, 6" splits from the main and 4" drops to the machines. Longest run is ~45' from machine to DC. No problem pulling chips and dust up and out of the shop. Only problem is remembering to check the fill level on the 55 gal. collecton drum. I have clogged the cyclone too many times!!

I have my cyclone in the store room of the shop. I cut a hole and installed a window, so I could see the hose above the drum, as I ran the drum over all the time. I put a trouble light on the lid of the drum so it lights up the hose as I am planing lumber. Planing is the big chip operation. I can fill a drum in 20 minutes with my 15" planer.
    My big concern having the drum on another level would be watching it closely. My hose fills in less than a minute.