Thread: Lathe Ideas for demonstations

Lathe Ideas for demonstations

A friend of mine is looking for a lathe that will allow him to move it easily. He wants to mount it on a folding type "table saw" type stand that will roll. He'll transport it in a cargo type van or pickup truck. He will be turning pens, small bowls, etc. Do any of you traveling demonstrators have any good choices?

About any "midi" lathe should work for that. It is a little different to have a turner that is going to do demonstrations that brings his own lathe, but I guess if he is demoing to groups that aren't a turning club I guess that makes sense.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have a little Nova Comet II midi lathe that is mounted to a board that clamps to bench in shop or can me carried and clamped to a workmate for demo/class away from shop. The Comet II is 12"D and works well in mid and high speed ranges , but has power problems in the low speed range. Check out the Wood Magazine rating recently and the new Rikon gets top review and is only a little heavier and has more power, but more cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    About any "midi" lathe should work for that. It is a little different to have a turner that is going to do demonstrations that brings his own lathe, but I guess if he is demoing to groups that aren't a turning club I guess that makes sense.
    Scott, you're right, he does demo's for folks who've never turned.

Pens, small stuff, I have my Jet mini on a rolling tool cabinet. It's also the perfect height for me. That has the bonus of the drawers to put all of your touring tools and finishing stuff in. I'm sure any mini/midi will work. My $0.02 is the rolling tool cabinet. The lathe can easily be taken off the cabinet, so lifting the cabinet onto my pickup can be done alone. I take out most of the heavy stuff.

I have a Jet mini that I have used for demos at sites where there are no lathes. I set it up on an old Workmate. The mini wasn't originally bought or then kept for demo use -- it was simply my first lathe and I never got around to trying to sell it. Now it's convenient when needed.