Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone purchased a tempest cyclone online from pennstate recently?

has anyone purchased a tempest cyclone online from pennstate recently?

So here is my real question. Has anyone recently ordered a dust collectot from pennstateind.com? On the site when you go to order it says the shipping charge is zero and it does only charge you for the unit through paypal for instance (in my case). I had a problem with my order (explained below) so I called in and the salesman says that I have to pay shipping too. He says people who order online end up getting a phone call later asking them for more money before shipping the unit. If this is so, it is the shadiest kinda sales proccess i have ever seen and kind of a false advertising situation. I'm having a hard time to believe that and think my sales person is giving me this info since they are probably on comission.

The story is that I am in urgent need of a dust collector for some work that I have to get done but been sitting due to lack of a strong enogh collector. Also since i will be moving out of state and probably end up selling my tools in a year or so anyways budget friendliness was a priority. I checked the 3.5 hp tempest and since the site shows free shipping (when you add the item to cart) plus I had a discount code offered to me by the website itself. The code turned out to have problems and when I call in the sales person is trying to charge me shipping too and he doesn't want to honor the code they themselves emailed me for completing my order that I had left on their site. He says the 10% we offered is only up to $40 where this is not mentioned anywhere. They even say on their home page (bottom right corner) that they will give you 10% off on all your online shopping if you sign up for their online mailing list. Well he denies that as well. Isn't that false advertising? ??
    Last edited by tony mashadi; 03-03-2015 at 2:20 PM.

I am contacting the owner hoping that this is an isolated case and he would resolve the issue. We'll see.

Blog Entries
    Definitely does not sound "right". I will be interested to hear how this unfolds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had made contact with PSI about a year ago and in an email I was told I would get 10% off and was never told about the $40 cap. The dust collector got put on hold for a while and in late October I tried to contact the same rep via the old email. I had some questions about size of shipment etc. No response, I tried the website contact page and sent 3 separate messages over the course of 3 weeks. no response.
    I ended up getting the Grizzly G0441 3HP cyclone.
    I used the website to contact one last time saying if they got any of the first 4 messages to disregard them. I got a response the next day saying he had been out of the office for a while due to an injury. Also added that his machine was better than what I bought.
    3 weeks and nobody else answers? There is definitely something wrong with PSI.

They should be more clear on there shipping. I went to the site and when I added it to the cart it says they will contact the customer regarding shipping but it also says $0.00. I entered my email to get the 10% coupon and it does say that its a maximum of $40.00 in the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Bush View Post
    They should be more clear on there shipping. I went to the site and when I added it to the cart it says they will contact the customer regarding shipping but it also says $0.00. I entered my email to get the 10% coupon and it does say that its a maximum of $40.00 in the fine print.
    Yeah, they are doing what they say, but it is all worded very poorly. Intentionally or carelessly?

My big problem is with them (in the Q/A) stating it gives the same performance on 208v as on 240v. If it even runs it will have substantially less power.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Yeah, they are doing what they say, but it is all worded very poorly. Intentionally or carelessly?

My big problem is with them (in the Q/A) stating it gives the same performance on 208v as on 240v. If it even runs it will have substantially less power.
    Shipping is expensive so if the price is cheapest and the shipping is free, I would run for cover anyway. Quality will be proportionally lower to compensate and there are no cheap fixes when a DC goes down. As to performance, if the motor is rated 208-230 there will be no difference unless the slight extra amp draw at 208 exceeds the FLA rating on the motor. Rpm will be the same so cfm will too. Most hobby systems spec their impellers so it is difficult to overamp the motor. Dave

Think if I had as much trouble with company on such readily available item would move on to another brand....

I can't understand why you aren't looking at Grizzly, especially since you say the need is urgent. The showroom is roughly 2 hours from Seattle, a 3hp is about $150 more than the PSI but it's a better machine (although it doesn't have the 700 square FOOT filter PSI claims) and holds better resale value.

Something is very fishy at Penn State: I looked at their website, and noticed a dc accessory kit, which sort-a looked a bit like the kit HF has...

So I went there too:

HF has a kit which includes 10ft of hose and gates, etc. for TWO machines. Price is 54.99

Penn State has a kit for four machines, no hose. Price is 54.10

As I said: something fishy about Penn State. Hose doesn't cost THAT much, does it???
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

Blog Entries
    Most of what I've read about Penn State Industries has been good. I've bought a few things from them. I think I read they're actually easier to contact by phone than email.

I have a system from Oneida. They're really easy to deal with. Good products too.

PHM

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. I had not read the fine print. It's just that when you receive an email saying complete your order today and get 10% off, you wouldn't think that the fine print would say, we actually only do 40 bucks. Also I tried ordering in the mobile site with paypal which just charges you the amount for item and doesn't say nothing about shipping. So the sales guy was right. They call you later on and surprise you with shipping charges. Ok, problem solved. Now I have to sell the tempest stand I already bought for it (found a ok deal on that on ebay and jumped the gun). If I'm going to pay around 1500 for this thing I feel much more comfortable adding couple hundred more and get a clearvue with the American 5 hp motor. I'm sure I can resell it better too in a year since everyone seems to love those.

Maybe I haven't done my homework but I just read some amazon reviews on some of them and wasn't sure if they are as good as let's say oneida or clearvue. Although I should say that I see they have a 2 stage filters (filter in enclosure with a second set of filter on the outlet) that looks very interesting. They were quiet a bit more expensive than regular ones though.
    Thanks

I just got my ClearVue CV1800 last week. I have not run it yet (still installing ducts and waiting on the filters). I must say they shipped it and I had it in just a few days (2-3). The filters on the other hand are not here yet. They ship right from the manufacture. But so far I am very happy with the cyclone. Everything went together well. I made my own wall bracket and my own remote control (could not see adding the extra $290).

Ok. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on clearvue specially after finding a 5% discount code on a website (let me know if you need info on that). Money is real tight so I'm hoping to not spend extra if I don't have to. I wish the hanging bracket and the bin were included buy o well. What did you use to build the angle brackets (wood or metal?). I guess a strong enough shelf bracket should do it. Also the electrical box is kinda pricy. I am generally good with electrical stuff. Is there a reason I couldn't just connect the motor myself and not buy a box? Also I now have a stand for the tempest psi cyclone that I ended up not buying in case anyone interested ( I will post it in classifieds if I ended up selling it), unless I could use it on the clearvue which is remained to be seen. I guess I have to give them a call. Perhaps they can answer some of my questions. Thank to everybody here for all your help.