Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw decision

Table saw decision

Hi Folks,
    Ya this is another one of those help me make a decision on a table saw threads.

I had always thought I would go with a Sawstop (3hp 36" fence) but right now Powermatic is running their 15% sale and it makes the price of the PM2000 (3hp 30" fence) very enticing. Both have a good reputation and I am sure either would make a great saw for a hobbyist's workshop. I currently have a Craftsman contractor saw with a Delta Unifence that is 17 years old and I feel it is time to make a change.

So I would be interested to get input from everyone and especially those who own these saws on what would be considered the best way to go or why you like the saw you have.

I am also tossing around the idea of getting the saw with the 50" fence but I am not sure why I would need a fence of that size. So I would take input on that too. My workshop is 14'x32' so a larger fence would fit.

So chime in I'd like to hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks,
    Izzy

The advantage of the Saw Stop is obvious. The advantage of the PM2000, not so much. Both are excellent 3hp Asian made cabinet saws. If the 15% off the PM has appeal, imagine how attractive a Griz G1023RL would look @ $1500....my point is, you're not buying in this price range to shave pennies. There's no question that I'd get the Saw Stop anywhere near this price. If my budget was smaller, and I wanted the most new saw I could afford, I'd get a Grizzly.

You can slide the rail of either saw farther to the right to gain close to 10" more capacity, so maybe the 30" configuration is plenty if extended to 40".
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-02-2015 at 9:28 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Well, just my two cents but have you considered used? I don't know why but used PM66's and Unisaws seem to be popping up all around me, and at a lot cheaper prices than both of the new saws. And since you have the room bigger is always better. Either way you go you'll love a cabinet saw!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I like my saw because it's soo simple,on/ off switch ,blade move up or down tilts to the right,Top is flat fence is straight.No plastic parts to break.Cuts smooth and very quite.
    And that's why I like my saw.Aj
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You buy SAWSTOP for the safety feature. Other than that its a coin flip. Have Delta unisaw at my shop and a couple POWERMATICS at work. All cut the same but the on/off is in different locations on the saws.:
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-03-2015 at 8:18 AM.

All good equipment until something unexpected happens. After that, is there any question?? Ultimately, buy what you want. Your decision!

I'll not comment on the pros/cons to your saw choice -- good ones already made. But the 50" fence is probably nice if you plan to feed large panels thru it. I have a basement shop, so a 50+" saw width would be almost impossible. I was ready to buy a SawStop two years ago, and bought a Festool track saw instead. Ideal for breaking down sheet goods, which is a real need for me, I have a number of cabinets to make. I'll still get a SawStop at some point to replace my contractor saw, but will stick with the 36" fence. I gave my 1.75HP saw a little more life by installing a thin-kerf Forrest rip blade. All my crosscutting is on a radial arm saw or CMS.

Lots of choices and rationales for what to buy.

Take a good look at the Grizzly 1023RLX and save yourself some money. I have it and it is a great saw. Very strong and accurate right out of the box.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3...e-Saw/G1023RLX

Red
    RED

Most agree both are very good saws. As mentioned the safety of the SawStop is obvious. I also looked at dust collection. The reviews were the SawStop had better dust collection, but I don't know if this is fact. The main thing that led me to the SawStop was the fact I have two grandchildren who may want to learn woodworking and I would love to teach them. Or I could never let them use the saw, but I want to let them learn if they want. I did consider euro sliders, but I don't really know enough about them and they were more $ than conventional saws. Try to look and everything and make a decision on what you need.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Be sure to factor in the added cost of the occasional Sawstop misfire / brake replacement / blade damage.

I would prefer to get a sliding table saw. Grizzly has a short stroke, G0700, and a longer stroke G0623, you can improve your crosscutting with either, and straight line rip with the longer stroke. I bought a Hammer, but if I were interested in saving money, would look at the Grizzly. See someone has a post going on 10% off coupons.

Grizzly 1023 and a Festool track saw would be my choice. 52" fence is a waste of Real Estate.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think staying with my original plan of Sawstop for the obvious safety factor is probably what I will go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I think staying with my original plan of Sawstop for the obvious safety factor is probably what I will go with.
    I bought a PCS because I couldn't say for certain that I would NOT have a momentary lapse in either judgement or focus over the next potential 20-30 years.

Unless you intend to be doing a lot of precision cross cutting of plywood sheets or precision cross cuts of other material and you don't have a miter saw of some flavor, the 50"+ extension is overkill. I will be getting a SawStop PCS 3hp here shortly, and, because of the way I'm configuring it, will end up with close to that, but not intentionally. I have an Incra 31" fence system that I'll be porting over from my Contractor's Saw, then I'll be shifting it to the right to accommodate the SawStop Slider, which will give me somewhere in the neighborhood of 45"+ rip capacity, although I'll have to reposition the carriage to take advantage of the additional capacity.

If I didn't have the Incra, I would get the 36" Bies style fence. As it is, I'll likely be getting a tracksaw down the road for when I need high quality single cut precision on sheet goods, simply because handling a big ol 4'x8' sheet of 3/4 Ply/MDF by myself isn't much fun. Currently, I break them down with a circular saw.

btw, if you do like your Unifence, you should be able to get the SawStop sans fence. IIRC, the 3hp PCS lists at about $2579 without fence. I, personally, would be inclined to take a Unifence over a Biesemeyer, of course YMMV.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.