Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw decision

I own a Sawstop. The saw is amazing, the dust collection is as good as advertised, plenty of power, and all of the benefits of a cabinet saw. I have never used a Powermatic, so I can't compare it to that manufacturer, but I would assume it is on par with that saw in every regard. The brake is a bonus, but without it I would buy this saw again. Try and get to a store where you can compare the two side by side if you can, or perhaps maybe someone you know has one where you can see it up close to help you decide. Maybe post a thread for Sawstop owners and see if there is anything they dislike about their saws. Most people have strong opinions about Sawstop, but I haven't seen much negative about them from owners. Call customer service for each company, I did, and was more impressed with Sawstop before and after I bought one. Have fun with your decision and best of luck!

I dont think anyone regretted buying a sawstop..

I certainly feel that I would be better off if i had spent the money to buy one initially rather than "One day".. which is where i am right now.

Buy once.. cry once! And not because your injured

Blog Entries
    IMHO, if I were considering the PM2000 I would grab the Grizzly without hesitation. If I was going to spend close to $3k I would get the Saw Stop without hesitation.

The wonderful thing about opinions is we all have them. My exposure to the current Powermatic products makes their price-point unreasonable. Someone else will have the opposite opinion ;-)

Brands aside, there seem to be certain things that some suppliers do better than others. Powermatic's 3520 lathes, Grizzly's G0490X jointers, Delta's 18-900 drill press, etc. All these seem to hit a value to price-point sweet spot. That doesn't mean their "the best" choice for everyone.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    IMHO, if I were considering the PM2000 I would grab the Grizzly without hesitation. If I was going to spend close to $3k I would get the Saw Stop without hesitation.

The wonderful thing about opinions is we all have them. My exposure to the current Powermatic products makes their price-point unreasonable. Someone else will have the opposite opinion ;-)

Brands aside, there seem to be certain things that some suppliers do better than others. Powermatic's 3520 lathes, Grizzly's G0490X jointers, Delta's 18-900 drill press, etc. All these seem to hit a value to price-point sweet spot. That doesn't mean their "the best" choice for everyone.
    Agreed. Well said Glenn.

The notion that all asian machines all the same is simply not true in my experience. About a year ago, I moved across the county and sold all of my stationary tools, including a grizzly 8 inch jointer and 15 inch planer, and my delta unisaw. I replaced them with powermatic machines, including the PM2000. The powermatic tools are superior in my opinion. As an example, I can run my PM2000 continuously without dial calipers, tape measures and other items that typically clutter the area to the right of my fence falling off the table. This was not the case with my unisaw, even when new. The unisaw easily passed the dime on end test, but there were enough less overt vibrations that over time would cause valuable items to come crashing to the floor. The difference in quality between my new powermatic jointer and planer compared to my "comparable" grizzly machines is even more striking. The powermatic units were easier to set up, hold their settings better, and downright more fun to use. I would repeat my purchases in a heartbeat. Hope that helps.

Since you have already decided on the SS, I will just mention that I had a 50" fence on my Unisaw, and cut it down to about 32", even though I had room. I have only missed it a couple times, and never since getting a track saw.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I am very happy with my DeWalt tracksaw. I got a package with 59 and 102 inch tracks for about $600. I think that's roughly half the Festool price for a similar setup. Review on Wood Whisperer is also pretty positive (but he does say he likes his Festool more). Even cheaper is the Grizzly. Reviews indicate it is a significant step down in performance but also in price.

My point is just that you don't have to have $1000+ in your pocket to start shopping for a tracksaw. Festool is definitely the leader, however, with more accessories available.

Thanks again for the continued input. I think I will go with the 36" fence. As I said in my first post I didn't see any need for the larger fence I just wanted to get input from others.

Someone above said he would get the Sawstop because he could not garantee he would not have a lapse of concentration. I feel the same accidents do happen and the brake on the Sawstop is a last ditch saftey feature.
    I also feel the fact that you never see a Sawstop on Craigslist says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    Thanks again for the continued input. I think I will go with the 36" fence. As I said in my first post I didn't see any need for the larger fence I just wanted to get input from others.

Someone above said he would get the Sawstop because he could not garantee he would not have a lapse of concentration. I feel the same accidents do happen and the brake on the Sawstop is a last ditch saftey feature.
    I also feel the fact that you never see a Sawstop on Craigslist says a lot.
    I've been a woodworker for almost 50 years. Two years ago a "momentary lapse of reason" left me missing about 1/2" off the tip of my thumb. My first ever shop accident. That trip to the emergency room cost $4000. All they did was clean the wound, tape it, and sent me home. I was incredibly lucky. I could have lost a finger or a hand. I had a great recovery and most days I don't even think about my thumb.

Those they say they practice safety and believe they will never have an accident -- well, I hop they are right. I always thought I was very careful.

In regard to the price, that $4000 trip to the ER would have bought the saw, and plenty of cartridges.

For what its worth, here is a listing for a Sawstop on Craigslist,

http://austin.craigslist.org/tls/4841062114.html

I just went thru the same process and ended up with a Powermatic PM1000 with the 30" Fence for about $1600 (On Sale Last Week). So far VERY pleased with my choice.

Good Luck.

I have a P66 at home (bought new 15 years ago) never had a problem or complaint with it and SawStop at work, both are great saws - dust collection on the SawStop is better. If I needed another saw at home I would buy the SawStop just for the safety feature mainly because my son is using the table saw and it scares the @#$@ out of me even though he has had proper instruction. The idea of him having an accident and the thought I could have done more to prevent it is enough to justify any price difference.

Well I took the plunge. I bought a Sawstop PCS 36" fence yesterday. I'll get it when the snow clears some and I can put the pallet forks on the tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    Well I took the plunge. I bought a Sawstop PCS 36" fence yesterday. I'll get it when the snow clears some and I can put the pallet forks on the tractor.
    You won't need the pallet forks. Cut the box open, remove everything except for the saw itself, and three average fellows can easily get it down from a pickup truck bed. Three stout fellows can probably do it without removing anything from the box first.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I can only speak to the PM2000. I have owned one for many years (longer than I realize - it still seems like my 'new' saw). I have been nothing but happy with it. I upgraded froma Delta contractor's saw and was quite pleased with the swap. I have not had any issues at all. Everything works well and came adjusted well. Everything is smooth and it feels good and heavy/robust. I can't recall what my fence capacity is, but I can't remember the last time I cut anything past a couple of feet wide (to qualify, I rarely use plywood). I really like the wheels. I don't use them much, but when I do, I'm so glad they are there and easy to use. Blade changes are easy. I love the knee bump off switch. Love the riving knife. So, no complaints. I have added a Brett Guard that I already owned. Oh, one thing I found about the fence - it has some "ripples" in it around where the attachment bolts are for the plastic face. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though and I didn't notice it until years after I bought it. The dust collection works well. Its a beast! It is heavy and solid. I cut some 1 7/8" cherry over the weekend and it doesn't hesitate! I use a Forest WWII full kerf. Anyway, good luck with your decision and enjoy your new saw!

Tony

Tony thanks for your input