Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toll road problem

The email is definitely a scam--how would they have even gotten it? But the letters--that's a lot of work for a scammer. Probably just coincidence.

I rented a truck in NC and got a parking ticket that I disputed as the meter only gave me 1/2 hour even though I kept putting in coins to try to get 2 hours of time as that was supposed to be the max for the meter. It was like 25 cents for each 1/2 hour and I put in 10 quarters but only got 1/2 hr. I was only gone for 35 minutes and came back to a ticket. I went to the parking division and filed a dispute and they had to send some one out and check the meter. I was home when I a was notified the Meter was broken and didn't have to pay. About 2 years later I got a notice that the truck was caught on camera running a stop light. I had to explain that it was a rental and I wasn't there but check with Enterprise for who had rented it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    They are on the news all the time around here. It's really disgusting what their tactic is. They fine you and it might be $80 for the fine. If you want to dispute it, it's a $50 charge to dispute it. The local talk radio have run a number of shows on it and people call in. One guy said he had a truck and they sent him the photo and it was a car with a different license plate on it. Didn't matter, $50 to dispute it. Also, if their readers malfunction, you get the bill for the fine. The local talk show host had plenty of money on his ezpass, had the statements that proved his account wasn't low on balance, and they billed him for not having enough money on his ezpass when he went through them. It was something like $7 worth of missed tolls for them and his fines were over $400. He decided to fight it and he said to fight each offense, it was a 16 page document that had to be filled out. For him to dispute it, it was over 200 pages of forms he would have to fill out.

People called in story after story for hours.
    Who is "they"? Sounds to me like someone has a fine opportunity for a RICO suit, 'cause this certainly sounds like racketeering.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    No, no pictures ever. The email has a zipped file that in hesitant to open.
    ZIP files in an email... the best way to infect a computer with a virus. Do NOT open that ZIP file.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    I suppose there are all sorts of ways to turn a buck. What proof do they provide that it was your car? How did they get your address? If it was from your DMV info I guarantee your name would be right. Was it a "toll by plate" service? Most toll road operators have a website with FAQ's and contact information. Just because it sounds crazy doesn't mean that they don't think it is legit. Confirm for yourself by contacting someone but, I would source contact info from somewhere besides the letter ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Who is "they"? Sounds to me like someone has a fine opportunity for a RICO suit, 'cause this certainly sounds like racketeering.
    "They" is the company that is contracted to handle the EZPass transactions and violations. When you hear the stories, you can't help but think "this is illegal", but nothing ever seems to get done about it. How in the world can someone send you a bill that's not lawfully your debt, and then tell you it'll cost you $50, or whatever they charge, to dispute it. If that was legal, I'd open a new business tomorrow, sending notices out to everyone in the phone book that they owed $100 and if they wanted to dispute it, they'd have to spend $50 to dispute it. However, it all gets by, day after day. It's one of those things, that if I did it, I'd be in jail, but someone the state governments signed contracts that gave them the okie dokie to do it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Crossing the Golden Gate bridge is an auto-toll as well. I don't have the EZ Pass (no reason...it is rare that I cross that bridge) so I pay an extra dollar over those that have the Pass. It takes them about 6 weeks to send the bill and I just pay it online no muss, no fuss.

What I'm wondering now is that I sold a car that I used on the bridge and only 3 days separated both events. I'm thinking the new driver will be getting the bill! I haven't heard from her yet but I half expect to. I did send in the forms right away to release liability on the car so....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.