Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I haul this much Teak?

Can I haul this much Teak?

I need to get some Teak from Ohio, to North-central Wisconsin.
    I'm considering hauling it myself.
    I have a F150 Ford truck, and a 16 foot, dual axle trailer.

My trailer measures 15.5 feet x 6 feet wide, and 4 feet high.
    The Teak to be hauled is listed as 16 cbm (As in Cubic Meters).

Can I haul that much teak in 2 trips with my truck and trailer?

I'm struggling converting the 16 CBM to Board feet accuratly, as well as what to expect weight wise.
    It's kiln dry to 8%

Here's a chart of weight of different woods (see below). If you take teak at about 900 Kg per cubic meter, you can calculate the weight of the whole load and see if your truck/trailer can take half a load.

To get the size of your truck/trailer, convert the dimensions to meters and calculate the volume in cubic meters. If you truck/trailer has a capacity of 8 cubic meters, and can take the weight, you can haul it. Of course, you have to also take into account the length of the wood and see if you can carry that length.

Mike

Wood
    Substance kg/m3 lbs/ft3
    Apple 825 52
    Ash 850 53
    Balsa 125 8
    Bamboo 400 25
    Cedar 550 34
    Ebony 1,200 75
    Lignum-vitae 1,325 83
    Mahogany 650 41
    Oak 900 56
    Pine, white 500 31
    Pine, yellow 600 37
    Teak, Indian 875 55
    Teak, African 975 61
    Willow 600 37
    Note: These figures are for seasoned wood only. Green wood will be substantially heavier due to its water content.
    Wood heavier than 1,000 kg/m3 will not float in water.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There are about 35 cubic feet in a cubic meter and 12 board feet in a cubic foot. This equates to 420 bd ft per cubic meter. 16 cubic meters is over 6700 bd feet. That is a lot of teak.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post

I'm struggling converting the 16 CBM to Board feet accuratly, as well as what to expect weight wise.
    It's kiln dry to 8%
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Not in one load. I have a F150, thats too much especially considering that you will have to drive through the Chicago area. Even with two loads you are right on the edge of what I would haul, and not through the Chicago rats nest.

Three loads would be safer. Rent a truck.

This would be a job for a rental.

Any damage to your ride must be considered
    as part of the cost. Rent something bigger
    than you need, with a ramp.

Get insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post

It's kiln dry to 8%
    Can't they give you any length info? That willl be important info to have to determine if your F150 will be able to haul any or just pull the trailer. Lets say you load it alll on the trailer. Hypothetical loading of trailer - 1 meter across and 1 meter vertical and 4 meters long means 4 trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This would be a job for a rental.

Any damage to your ride must be considered
    as part of the cost. Rent something bigger
    than you need, with a ramp.

Get insurance.
    how much would some sort of uhaul be to rent? and make 1 trip, save you time and gas...

Using the math from mike and James, that puts you at potentially 34,058 pounds. Considering you have a pickup and trailer contributing around 10,000 pounds, this will put your gross vehicle weight at around 45,000. That's more than half of a fully loaded semi, which uses a heck of a lot more tires and more importantly, brakes. Your trailer also has a weight limit on the axles. 5000 and 7000 pound axles are common, times two give you a design limitation. Tires have a rating too, they are likely close to the axle rating. Your trailer was designed to operate of the axle rating weight. It is likely a car trailer, so a safe calculation is 10,000 max capacity load on the trailer.

Now, the department of transportation makes big bucks fining overloaded vehicles. It's good because they cannot safely stop often. You will be driving on some of the most regulated roads in America. I don't know what the rules there are, here I could haul 10,000 pounds tops without increasing my pickup licensing limits.

Further, a half ton pickup's duty cycle is not designed to haul at max capacity nonstop for a thousand miles. The vehicle designed for that load is a twin drive axle flatbed truck or a small semi. Or three loads at least with your pickup.

Half that load is more than I haul with my HD 2500 Chevy and gooseneck cow trailer. And the transmission heats up when I am pulling it. For 15 miles. Agree, get a rental, or hire someone to haul it.

You need to know the GCWR of your truck (between 10,000 and perhaps as much as 15,500 for a F150), the GVWR of your trailer, and the weight of your truck and trailer. Add the weight of the truck and trailer, passengers, fuel, and anything else you're carrying and subtract it from the GCWR of the truck to yield your potential payload. You can split the payload between truck and trailer perhaps, you need to not exceed the GVWR of either. Finally you need to not exceed the capacity of your trailer hitch either in terms of total weight or tongue weight.

According to the chart above you've got about 32,000 pounds of teak (900 Kg/m^2 x 2.2 lbs/kg x 16 m^2), so you're talking at least four trips fully loaded. Unless you have a CDL you will need two trips in the biggest rental truck you can drive on a regular license.

I'vd be looking at getting a truck freight company to bring it to you. It may well be less expensive than the DIY option.

That is a *lot* of teak!

Agree that renting a moving truck is probably your best bet. My fiancé and I moved from North Dakota to South Bend, IN and rented a 22' Penske truck. It cost about $500. She went to college in Chicago so we had to take the truck downtown in the city to pick up her things from her apartment. Whatever you do, make sure you take the bypass on I94 around the city. I88 works too. It is absolute hell to have to take a moving truck through the Loop on I90.

You don't need to know anything more than the phone number of a good trucking company. Hauling that much lumber is work for a flatbed trailer, not a domestic pasenger vehicle. The value of the lumber and the liability far outway any potential cost savings, and I'd argue that if you get a quote there really is none. Last place I worked regularly had similar quantities of walnut hauled fro. Ohio to Connecticut, cost was under $1k and often less if we were flexible on timing so loads could be managed to share trailer space or accomodate the truckers schedule. There are drivers that specialize in moving lumber, they have flat beds with accordion covers so your lumber arrives dry, clean, and in usable condition. Pop one tire on your truck and you are a 1/4 way to hiring a trucker.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I am intrigued about what someone does with that much Teak.... And how much it cost. Teak can run $20/bd-ft time 6700 is $134,000.... Wow
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips View Post
    I am intrigued about what someone does with that much Teak.... And how much it cost. Teak can run $20/bd-ft time 6700 is $134,000.... Wow
    I though the same thing. Teak around here is over $20/bd ft. Maybe about $24. That's a lot of money.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You would need a CDL to haul that much any thing over 26000 LBs need a CDL. No rental will allow you to rent a vehicle rated over 25000 with out a CDL