Thread: shop fox w1410 fence opinions???? aka grizzly g4722

shop fox w1410 fence opinions???? aka grizzly g4722

Hi Guys,
    well after my last post about getting my new saw and what order of purchases to get , i have really really been searching every post on the different fence options out their and came across one that really only has a couple reviews but.... the price is right. grizzly is having a sale on the shop fox w1410 fence system $150, according to their website accurate to .004. i see its a double locking fence which doesnt seem to be as favorable as the the beisemeyer style's but the other thing thats attractive to me besides the price is that it runs on angle iron, the reason being is that i feel like ill never be limited to a certain rip length on either side of the blade. basically i would just be able to go buy some new angle iron drill a few holes and bang i have a longer fence?
    But on the other hand the delta t-2 with what seems a bazillion good reviews is only $50 more, I would really hate to have chosen wrong over 50 bucks, or the extra 50 saved could buy me a few more accessories,zci maybe a blade ect.
    anyone have any first hand experience with this fence? looks like maybe it used to be the standard fence on some older grizzly saws.
    anyways thanks again

No first hand experience of owning one, but have toyed with it in the showroom. IIRC, the SF W1410 was also known as the SF "Original" fence, and came standard on some of their "Z" series table saws. It was dual locking and rolled easily along the rails. Some of the complaints were that it had to be rolled all the way to the edge of the rail to remove, and it would interfere with the blade guard if rolled within 1.5" of the blade. Many that owned it loved it, but the SF Classic (Biese clone) was far more popular. My guess is that the W1410 is a bit beefier than the T2, but the T2 doesn't have the quirks of the W1410. Either should make for a good upgrade over many of the older fences.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a used right-tilt G1022ZF (c.2004, found on CL) that came with the Shop Fox fence. I'll have to follow-up later to identify whether it's the W1410 or W1411. The previous owner had drilled holes through it to mount a sacrificial board, but other than that it's in good shape. I like that it's easily adjusted for height to table or parallel to the blade. It rolls smoothly, but has a tendency to pop off the rail as it approaches the very end, far right of the blade. It's possible that the rails aren't completely parallel at that point. I believe you're correct about being able to add extended rails using your own angle iron. As long as the thickness matches the existing one, or is at least sufficient for the wheels of the fence to ride on without slop. I can post photos for you later, if you're interested or need them for reference.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-03-2015 at 3:39 PM.

I goggled the grizzly g4722 and the Griz site says no longer available. I had one of these on a Craftsman contractors saw and it worked as claimed by Griz but this was on a left tilt, belt drive saw with one exception. When the blade was tilted to a 45, the motor would interfere with the outfeed end of the fence when the fence was directly over the motor. Would not happen on a direct drive saw or cabinet saw or a right tilt belt drive as long as the fence was on the right side of the blade. May not be an issue for other makes or models of left tilt saws either. Great fence other than that issue. Much nicer fence in my opinion than the T2 if it will work on your saw.

That W1410 looks very similar in design to my Excalibur TT45, though less beefy. The dual rail configuration does have it's plusses and minuses, but if properly adjusted they can be extremely accurate and easy to lock in with little or no deflection. The two biggest drawbacks I see to the W1410 are A) you need clearance (for an outfeed table) past the table for the rear bracket, and B) it doesn't look like you can lift it straight off the rails - you have to slide it to one end or the other. That may not matter to you if you never take the fence off, or you have long enough rails that you can slide it to one side when you don't need it.
    It's certainly better than some of the junk fences that come on many portable and contractor saws these days.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    No first hand experience of owning one, but have toyed with it in the showroom. IIRC, the SF W1410 was also known as the SF "Original" fence, and came standard on some of their "Z" series table saws. It was dual locking and rolled easily along the rails. Some of the complaints were that it had to be rolled all the way to the edge of the rail to remove, and it would interfere with the blade guard if rolled within 1.5" of the blade. Many that owned it loved it, but the SF Classic (Biese clone) was far more popular. My guess is that the W1410 is a bit beefier than the T2, but the T2 doesn't have the quirks of the W1410. Either should make for a good upgrade over many of the older fences.
    good to know, it'll be going on a craftsman 113, if what grizzly info is true it sound's like a good accurate fence.im not to worried about being in the way of the blade guard as i really dont think im gonna use it much,i feel like it interferes with being able to see the blade

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    I have a used right-tilt G1022ZF (c.2004, found on CL) that came with the Shop Fox fence. I'll have to follow-up later to identify whether it's the W1410 or W1411. The previous owner had drilled holes through it to mount a sacrificial board, but other than that it's in good shape. I like that it's easily adjusted for height to table or parallel to the blade. It rolls smoothly, but has a tendency to pop off the rail as it approaches the very end, far right of the blade. It's possible that the rails aren't completely parallel at that point. I believe you're correct about being able to add extended rails using your own angle iron. As long as the thickness matches the existing one, or is at least sufficient for the wheels of the fence to ride on without slop. I can post photos for you later, if you're interested or need them for reference.
    thanks mike - has your's stayed well aligned? and im hoping that the angle iron idea would work, although i see griz has the extended rails on sale for $30 which might just be cheaper to buy then make or at least less of a headache. i really have no idea on what length of rails i want or need but i was thinking it be nice to have it be able to rip the same on the left side as right

I goggled the grizzly g4722 and the Griz site says no longer available. I had one of these on a Craftsman contractors saw and it worked as claimed by Griz but this was on a left tilt, belt drive saw with one exception. When the blade was tilted to a 45, the motor would interfere with the outfeed end of the fence when the fence was directly over the motor. Would not happen on a direct drive saw or cabinet saw or a right tilt belt drive as long as the fence was on the right side of the blade. May not be an issue for other makes or models of left tilt saws either. Great fence other than that issue. Much nicer fence in my opinion than the T2 if it will work on your saw.

mine will be going on an older 113 with cast iron wings. Im having a hard time imaginig how it would hit the fence? shouldn't the fence be way above it.and hopefully it turn's out to be better than a t2, guesss it really wouldn't matter anyways cuz i wouldv'e never had one to compare to.

anyways thanks alot guy's. i think im pretty set on buying it, just have to convince the wife i really need it. imma contact griz and see how long the sale will be for or if its just until their outta stock, and whether the 90 day no questions asked is still good if its a discontinued item.
    thanks again and if anyone has anything else to add shoot away.

my third quote didn't go through anyone know how to edit it to the "quote" form?

Mike,
    The fence I had was on a 113 Craftsman saw also. Don't remember if it had cast or stamped wings but wouldn't matter. The back end of the fence sticks out several inches (maybe 3 or 4??) past the saw and is a bit (maybe 1 ??) below the top of the table. Sorry I don't remember more about the dimensions but it has been a while ago. I just had the saw for a very short time, like traded for it and sold it in 4 or 5 days but was impressed by the way the fence moved and locked. The position of the motor maybe could have been changed by sliding it to the lowest point of the mounting slots in the base and motor or by changing the length of the belt and the setting of the adjusting rods. Motor also changes position tilt wise as the blade is raised and lowered. All I remember is there was a conflict on this saw when the blade was tilted to 45. The guy who bought the saw liked the fence so well he said he would work around the problem. I don't have any hard feelings against the T2 fence but they do seem a bit under built and over rated to me. (Maybe the Biesemeyer has me spoiled?) If you go with the Shop Fox, Keep us posted on your feelings after you use it. Good luck
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 03-04-2015 at 2:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
    Mike,
    The fence I had was on a 113 Craftsman saw also. Don't remember if it had cast or stamped wings but wouldn't matter. The back end of the fence sticks out several inches (maybe 3 or 4??) past the saw and is a bit (maybe 1 ??) below the top of the table. Sorry I don't remember more about the dimensions but it has been a while ago. I just had the saw for a very short time, like traded for it and sold it in 4 or 5 days but was impressed by the way the fence moved and locked. The position of the motor maybe could have been changed by sliding it to the lowest point of the mounting slots in the base and motor or by changing the length of the belt and the setting of the adjusting rods. Motor also changes position tilt wise as the blade is raised and lowered. All I remember is there was a conflict on this saw when the blade was tilted to 45. The guy who bought the saw liked the fence so well he said he would work around the problem. I don't have any hard feelings against the T2 fence but they do seem a bit under built and over rated to me. (Maybe the Biesemeyer has me spoiled?) If you go with the Shop Fox, Keep us posted on your feelings after you use it. Good luck
    thought about this and went out and tilted the blade, your exactly right. the motor mount is only maybe 1/2" lower than the standard angle iron rails on their right now. i really appreciate the comment as now im having second doubts about this fence.

as a general question to anyone that read's this & maybe i should start a new thread, how often will i have to use the 45 degree tilt function, is it something a person can live without? dont wanna lose feature's that maybe really useful....

Mike,
    The guy who bought the saw was just going to use a spacer against the fence (like a 2x4??) and slide his work along the spacer to move the fence a bit farther to the right and get it out of the problem area for what few times he needed to cut at an angle and width that it would interfere. Could make a "jig" that would just straddle the fence and do the job. If I had kept the one I had I sure would have investigated adjusting the motor position/belt length to solve it also. As for how often you will use the 45, just depends on the type of work you do. I have had saws that looked like they had never been tilted by the rust on the tilt screw threads. I use mine every once in a while and would find it very hard to do without it.
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 03-13-2015 at 11:24 AM.