Thread: First sliding headstock woodturning lathe?

First sliding headstock woodturning lathe?

Hi, I know that Rude Osolnik helped Powermatic come out with the original US made 3520. Were there any sliding headstock woodturning lathes before that? I'm into antique equipment and thought if there was one before that I'd see if I could find one. Thanks

I don't know when the PM sliding headstock was invented, but I would guess that Shopsmith was first. NOT that I'm comparing the lathe feature on the SS to the PM.

Interesting observation, I know lots of guys turn on their Shopsmith, and it came out in 1953. That said, I would guess the sliding headstock on the Shopsmith was more a result of other functionality and incidental to turning, whereas the original PM was made as only a lathe and the sliding headstock feature was done intentionally to enhance turning.

I would think that some of the old spring pole lathes had both moveable head and tail stocks. The Conover lathe had a movable head and tailstock.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Jason ( just for info) the SS came out in 1947 with the 10E than the 10ER then the SS Mark 5 in 1953.
    All of them have a sliding head stock.
    I bought and rebuilt and sold 8 10ERs to help get money to buy my General 160.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.