Thread: La Espina Bowl

La Espina Bowl

Maple bowl about 10 x 7. Rough textured exterior, some stylized fish skeletons , pyro and dyed, walnut oil finish.

My grandmother would send me down to the lake to catch panfish like bluegill and perch. She would invite Aunt Daisy over for a fish fry and I was amazed how a blind woman could eat such boney fish. All that would be left on her plate was a little pile of clean skeletons. Fifty years later and I still seem to end up with a mouth full of bones if I eat similar fish.

C & C always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very creative design! Love that texture and the fishes are major bonus for me. Did you just paint brush the dye in place? Awesome job there Hayes and love
    everything about it.

Love it. What kind of carving tool did you use, a Dremel or hand tools?

"The best things in life are not things."

:-) :-) love the story & the bowl!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Hayes, very nice work, loved the story

James, I used an Arbortech with the 2" wheel. Bowl on lathe, resting Arbortech on tool rest.

Michelle, that is a funny memory. Another part of the story is aunt Daisy's daughter (aunt Clara) had to drive her and the only thing I remember about her is that she chain smoked. So far that hasn't given me any inspiration!

Steve, I used a tiny brush and put a little shellac in the alcohol soluble dye so it gets tacky quick and stays within the pyro'd lines.
    Last edited by Hayes Rutherford; 03-04-2015 at 7:58 AM.

Great bowl & story and I love them both!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

That is so cool!

Wonderful bowl Hayes!
    tomB

Very cool bowl Hayes! Great story and nice memory for you.

Nice story and great bowl.
    ​Jeff