Thread: New backsaw choices

New backsaw choices

Lately I have been thinking about upgrading my cheap gents saw and getting something more suitable for dovetails/small tenons. I am currently not interested in a used saw and have been looking at the Veritas saws and I am trying to decide between the dovetail and carcass saws. I was wondering if the one rip saw would be suitable for dovetails, as well as some minor crosscutting, or if I need to buy a dovetail and a crosscut carcass. I am on a somewhat restricted budget but if I needed both the pair of carcass saws seems the cheapest. Thanks.

I would start with the dovetail saw, as you can get decent small mortice and tenon joints out of a dovetail saw much easier than you can get dovetails out of a carcas saw.

The LV carcase saw is very good, I have that, the LN dovetail saw, a couple of larger back saws, etc.

You might check out the better grade Japanese saws. Can't remember the exact saw, but I bought a better quality Japanese saw from Lee Valley. It was $60 very well spent.

Why would you disqualify a used Disston #4 or equivalent from your tool kit? They are some of the finest saws ever made......

I'm confused
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Why would you disqualify a used Disston #4 or equivalent from your tool kit? They are some of the finest saws ever made......

I'm confused
    I think finding and sharpening a vintage saw might be slightly out of reach for the OP. Would love to find a vintage Diston #4 myself for a reasonable price, but no luck for me on this.

I have the pair of Veritas carcass saws. They are my only joinery saws at this point. I have cut dovetails and tenons with the rip saw, and it has worked flawlessly for both. I don't regret my choice to forego the dovetail saw at this time. I may pick one up if I start doing tiny boxes or something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Cleveland View Post
    Lately I have been thinking about upgrading my cheap gents saw and getting something more suitable for dovetails/small tenons. I am currently not interested in a used saw and have been looking at the Veritas saws and I am trying to decide between the dovetail and carcass saws. I was wondering if the one rip saw would be suitable for dovetails, as well as some minor crosscutting, or if I need to buy a dovetail and a crosscut carcass. I am on a somewhat restricted budget but if I needed both the pair of carcass saws seems the cheapest. Thanks.
    The main points of the OP have been emphasized.

In a recent post, "Getting A Saw Started" the saw used is a dovetail saw filed for rip cuts. It works fine for short tenons and crosscuts.

You should do fine with a single saw until the time comes when another can be afforded. It is also not difficult to cut medium dovetails with the larger carcass saw. The big difference will be the tooth count. The finer teeth of the dovetail saws do leave a slightly smoother cut.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-04-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kelly, I've been in the same boat. Don't overlook the aforementioned Japanese dovetail saws. They start really easy and cut fast. Best of all, they mostly are inexpensive. I got the LV version after it came out, as it's a great bargain. Later on, I picked up a LN tapered dovetail saw, after I tried it out at one of their events. Myself, I prefer it over the LV, but the price is also double the LV. Having said that, the LV is a good little saw, and would serve you well enough to get your feet wet.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    I agree on the Disston #4. I have one that is crosscut and it does a great job. It cuts fast and straight, leaving a smooth edge that requires little smoothing after the cut.

If I had it to do over I'd probably go vintage. I have a fair bit of change tied up in Bad Axe 12 and 16 inch hydrid filed back saws and a pair of Wenzloff panel saws. They're great but my faves are my pair of Diston D8 handsaws from the bay. If you're worried about sharpening (as I was) then there are som folks online who sell tuned up vintage saws.