Thread: First Real Suspended Vessel

First Real Suspended Vessel

This is my first real suspended vessel. I'm looking for comments mainly how I can improve on form, transitions, and anything else you see, and would like to
    know how you feel too about the different backgrounds. Though I did make a drawing, I didn't plan like I should have with measurements so the finial
    is way too long. I do now have a model to use for when I make the next one I can better plan, if that make sense. I must give credit to John Keeton
    for giving me some pointers here. The fact that this project is not quite on the money yet is my doing, but John has showed me the error of my ways,
    not my lathe ways! I have a long way to go, yet I believe I was brain washed and took a major leap in the right direction....thanks John!

Steve

Western Choke Cherry Vessel - Wenge Finial and Pedestal
    Finished in Lacquer
    11 1/2" tall x 5 1/2 wide
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a beautiful first Steve!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Steve, I admire your skills and workmanship on this form. The fact that it is a functional box is a plus for me. I see the first two photos as well done and good backgrounds for representation, and the third photo well done but more of a portrait that might in itself be the art object.

I'm not well versed in the critique of this type form. Personally I think the finial is too prominent and possibly the replication of the main form (in the finial) is a little off. But I like the main form and will be curious what others more qualified have to say.

I agree with Ken, a beautiful first.

good first suspended form.....you should listen to John to have a classical turning.....I personally do not like a blue background, grey or shades of grey would be my preferances, but I like black better-----with black final and base....black is out

First, I will agree that it is a beautiful first and better than my first. That said, one should strive to make the lines flowing and not interrupted. Both the base and the ring around the opening for the lid interupt the curves and should be as flush as possible. The lid seems to have some concave curve to it but is too straight and would probably look better if it completed the convex curve of the body.

The finial appears to be about half the total height of the total, so is out of proportion. If you try to use the 'golden mean' or 'golden rectangle' proportions their are several ways to go about that. The body could be 1.6 times (actually = 1.61803399) as wide as high while the total object is 1.6 times as tall as wide. The 'rule of thirds' is a good approximation.
    golden.png

This would be a rough example of what I'm trying to get at, I think I made it too tall. Where the body (which would fit in the inner rectangle) would be placed vertically is harder. either the visual center or widest point at approximately one-third of the total or at the mid point...

The problem lies in that there is no hard rule. Its what 'looks right'. The golden mean just helps you get in the neighborhood. There is another term 'visual weight' that has to be considered also. This refers to the impact that different element can have to the perception of the whole. The 'visual center' is not necessarily the geometric center of an object. In fact it generally is not unless the object is regularly shaped and plainly colored.

On this piece, I would say the visual center is at the widest point. The upper bulb of the finial creates a visual stop and the rest of the finial gets lost.

I do look forward to seeing where you go from here.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Steve, I think this is a fantastic first attempt!! You are improving quickly, and I look forward to seeing your future works.

I will send you some other notes, but I thought I would make a quick attempt at one possibility for you to consider on the relationship of the finial to the form.

First, I lowered the height of the lid on the form a little to bring the form into better proportion.

Then I have done the following to the finial - shortened the cove base and sweetened the curves a little, shortened the form replication to closer approximate the revised form, removed the second cove element above the replication, sweetened the curve on the spire, and thinned and shortened the edited finial.

Again, this is just a quick edit, and there are other suggestions that I will send you. Please understand that these are just my thoughts, and others might have differing opinions that are more appealing to you. It is good to get a broad perspective in forming your artistic "data base!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Steve. Very good first attempt. The workmanship is excellent.

I agree with the comments above, and I would like to see Keeton post all of his feedback, so we can all learn from it.

The piece is very good but I think you could make a few subtle improvements.

I like the way the foot cradles the body. You could also make them flow together, but I like that they are separate elements.

The body is very good but there are little changes that I think would make it better. I love the black separator line, but the transition through the curve into the lid is a little abrupt. You have this strong curve through the body, but the lid kind of straightens out too much. I also think the curve actually goes a little too far (it begins to get too horizontal) before transitioning into the lid.

I love the workmanship on the finial, but I think you know it's a little overwhelming. John's adjustment is much lighter and way more elegant.

Lastly, the photo on the backdrop shows the piece better. I don't mind the photo on the table but it feels a little crowded to me. If you came out and showed a little more environment it could be a nice still life.

Keep up the good work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I have no comment except I think it is beautiful, the wood and the work, there is one thing I would like to know and that is how do you do the ring around the lid? is it segmented or cut from a solid piece of wood?
    Wally

Thank you all very much for taking the time to comment and critique. You guys taking the time out of your day to lend your expertise means so much to
    all of us who are learning the skill. I sure have more studying to do and it's nice to have this forum and talented folks that are willing to share your thoughts
    and ideas. Some of you sure have gone well beyond the call of duty here, and for that we all need to thank you.

John, your edited photo looks much better with the shorter finial. I got way to carried away.

Thom, does the overall piece generally going to fit in the rectangles as a guideline for portions. I'm not quite grasping all of what your saying here, but will look it up. I'm so new
    to the art and don't understand or have an eye what "looks right" just yet.

Wally, I used a simple and cheap beading tool. Nothing fancy, and there are better tools, but I bought the 4 piece set from Penn State. It is cut from the solid piece of wood.
    Thanks for your compliment!

When I look at John's illustration on my screen it is 3 3/16" wide and just under 5" tall. Ratio of 1.56:1 pretty close to 1.6:1
    the body appears 2 1/8" tall so 3 3/16: 2 1/8 would be 1.5:1 also pretty close.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).