Thread: Home Hardness Test

Home Hardness Test

I just ran across these on the Amazon
    I was looking form some thing entirely different and I did not buy these but thought I would put them up for perusal none the less.
    PS: The range is HRC 40 to 65 in five degree steps.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-03-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Those have been around for many years. But,of course you damage your sample by filing it. And,the files soon get worn out by trying to file them against surfaces harder than them in steps,until the file as hard as the steel is reached. As soon as you have blunted the tips of the file's teeth from trying them against harder steel,the files become very unreliable.

I consider those a temporary,consumable tool,not worth the money in the (not so) long run.

I do have a special file used to test the hardness of normal files! But,you can test the hardness of the Mexican Nicholsons by rubbing a banana against them!

Here's another one. Not sure how it works. Anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Flexbar-Quick-...TJ03VKQAKJW3RG

George, I've GOTTA try the banana test.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Jim,that kind of hardness tester is only good for fairly thick objects,or else the ball doesn't bounce correctly. The height the ball bounces is read on a scale to indicate the hardness of a sample.

It would not be any good for thin objects like plane irons. You might use it to test the top of an anvil,though.

Bill,make sure it's a Chiquita banana!

Be prepared to spend over a thou to even get a proper Asian hardness tester. Then,you still have an Asian hardness tester. Every American made one I ever find is worn out,broken,missing parts,or LITERALLY $300.00 just to crate and ship.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Bill,make sure it's a Chiquita banana!
    And not too ripe, the green ones are a touch more stout.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes,the green ones will wipe the teeth right off!!!

Flexbar pocket harness tester
    • The piece to be checked should have a section size of 1" square or more and at least 1/2" thick
    1/2 " thick . . . that leaves out most plane blades . . . and chisels too come to think of it.
    Oh well.
    But
    Better is Better.

not worth the money in the (not so) long run.
    Yah, I was afraid of that . . . like I say, I didn't buy them.

Might not be too bad on the files if one always started with the hardest file and worked toward the first one that skated and used a light touch. Have a nice divot out of the sample by then though.

Bannana test
    yeh now guys . . . this is serious !
    No having fun at work.

As my boss says :
    that's why they call it "work". If work was supposed to be fun then when I left in the morning I would say "I'm going to Fun".

I don't really agree with all that but there you are.
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    But,you can test the hardness of the Mexican Nicholsons by rubbing a banana against them!
    Problem with the nicholsons now is the quality control of the heat treat down south..They are still made from the same steel they were 50 years ago according to the head engineer(I have the specs from testing too about 1.25% carbon)..If you make something from one and heat treat it yourself it will hit 66rc out of the quench(that's parks50)

Exactly,Phillip. I think they might be allowing the teeth to decarb somehow. I HOPE they get this problem solved. The Mexican files are just as nice looking as the USA Nicholsons. Beautifully cut teeth. They are just so soft you can take an old USA Nicholson,and file the Mexican ones to well below their tooth depth. Then,you hit the glass hard core.

Once they ever notice the problem and solve it,I wonder how long it will take to sell off the soft files and get the new ones onto the shelf? I bought so many NOS Nicholsons ,I don't have to worry about it for years. I saw this coming and scoured the local stores for USA Nicholsons.

Phillip,have you discussed the problem with the head engineer? Please reply.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-06-2015 at 9:47 AM.

I thought they were made in Mexican FACTORY with thermostats and stuff. Unless it's a bunch of cottage industry guys competing with their wives for oven time...why can't they fix the problem easily?