Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best and easiest computer back up system

I agree with Chuck. I prefer a local backup which is why I find Cobian Backup perfect for my needs.

Blog Entries

Well I did it (I hope)

Well,I fumbled my way through a backup to a USB flash drive. I hope:
    -I never need to use it (but realize some day I probably will)
    -If I need it I hope I can figure out how to use it (I'll probably be back here asking how to get the backup off the USB drive)
    Thanks for all the advice
    Dennis

Years ago I did the tape backup thing and then dvds and finally a nas/raid in a separate computer but when I looked at the cost of equipment and electric to maintain that system, the $60 per year i pay Carbonite looks cheap. A few weeks ago my computer bricked, power supply took out the motherboard. I built a new system with the same number of drives and had Carbonite restore my files. It took 12 days for a total 862gb of data to be restored but everything is there just like before and the whole process involved reinstalling their ssoftware and clicking restore. For me, that's money well spent.

YMMV

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Well,I fumbled my way through a backup to a USB flash drive. I hope:
    -I never need to use it (but realize some day I probably will)
    -If I need it I hope I can figure out how to use it (I'll probably be back here asking how to get the backup off the USB drive)
    Thanks for all the advice
    For the stuff that really matters, i.e. financial, health and legal stuff, I don't use any sort of compression or other special backup software. Just copy the native files to backup media. I was using syncback (http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html) to automate the process. That leaves one less point of failure (data compression/decompression) If my machine dies, I can simply copy the files back to a rebuilt machine. I have O.S. and program reinstall media so don't really worry about backing up 90% of the machine. My O.S. and applications can be pretty easily replaced. Data files cannot.