Thread: some of the historic work I do with vintage English Kit

some of the historic work I do with vintage English Kit

myself and Adam did all the work from getting the trees and drying it to paint and plants.

thanks for looking
    jack
    English machines

Nice work! Looks great, and the video was well done too!

I love it when I log on and you have a new video posted, Jack. They are always inspirational, and this one is no exception. Thanks for sharing, and great work!

Beautiful work Jack. Love that you made your own copper door strike. Now that is full service workmanship.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Jack ... that is a wonderful video. The pre-priming protection and large timber work is inspiring. Love the thought given to the birds with the built in house. That roof and eaves could be perfect for attracting Barn Swallows ... whose habitat is increasingly threatened by changes to our our structures (closing in barns) and tolerance of their raising young. But with all that beautiful paint and rails, I suspect they might not be welcome should they choose to nest there. Sorry, I got off on a tangent. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Jack ... that is a wonderful video. The pre-priming protection and large timber work is inspiring. Love the thought given to the birds with the built in house. That roof and eaves could be perfect for attracting Barn Swallows ... whose habitat is increasingly threatened by changes to our our structures (closing in barns) and tolerance of their raising young. But with all that beautiful paint and rails, I suspect they might not be welcome should they choose to nest there. Sorry, I got off on a tangent. Thanks for posting.
    Hi Bill the nests are for finch and the tree's fruit is what they winter over on. Each hole is a separate nest. The Idea comes from Dove Cote in English Cottages when nests of pigeons and doves were put in gables for winter meat in this type agrarian style house. Dove Cotes are 14th century details that are getting harder to find anymore. We built the whole affair on the ground as a false gable so it was closed in for the birds that are not for meat these days. The real dove Cotes had back doors in the attic so as to trap the birds for meat by the owners and to change nesting materials as needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovecote

after we decked the rafters and ice shielded the roof deck we placed the dove cote false gable on the roof.

here is how i did the decking so that there we no seen fasteners.

thanks for the kind words everyone that has commented.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-05-2015 at 4:03 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Who did the drafting?

Nice birdhouse inlets,
    clever touch those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Who did the drafting?

Nice birdhouse inlets,
    clever touch those.
    Hi Jim That,s my name in the right corner. I still use a pencil and ink. I draw my designs i don't draw to design.
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 03-06-2015 at 7:42 AM.
    jack
    English machines