Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any alums of Shannon Rogers' online hand tool course?

So a business owner is obligated to sell his product at cost and not a penny more? What would you consider to be a fair monthly profit? I doubt any of these guys are getting rich selling memberships, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with that type of comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    My vote would be for Fidgen. Hand tool woodworking si more of a mindset than a particular skill set, and Fidgeon does the best to communicate this mindset IMHO.

Most of the rest of what you are learning through these video series can be learned easily from trial and error.

I am also not sure why these paid memberships are so expensive. If you have a 1000 members paying $25 each, that's $25,000 a month income. Does not cost 25 grand to amke that video, not anywhere near.

I am a paid member of Shannon's HandTool School ( Semester 1 & 2). I am still working my way through the projects, but as a complete beginner his videos have been very helpful. That said, I've watched my fair share of Paul Seller. Enough so, that when my kids see him on tv they go " Oh God,not Paul again!"

Probably obvious, but I'll say it: the David Charlesworth videos are very good, too. I would say they are more advanced than some and might be harder to appreciate, unless the person is already has a detailed oriented "wood machinist" mentality... hmm "wood machinist" is a wierd expression to use for hand tool work, but DC's work habits remind me of a really precise metal machinist. Always talking about a thousandth off of here, a couple of thou off of there...
    clamp the work
    to relax the mind

Based on their free videos (Rob's was complimentary), I would rank them as:

Paul Sellers -- sometimes long-winded and sometimes off the topic, but he is also the oldest and so that's forgiven. His videos are free of annoying background music...what a relief. He uses economical or shop made tools and free of advertising.
    Tom Fidgen and Rob Cosman (tie) -- I don't like the background music of Tom's at all; I know Tom is a musician but why does he think his music is what others like? (same complaint about Chris Schwarz's vids and Chris is arguably the first one who started the use of bad soundtrack). Rob's among the best if he edits out the tedious and repetitive garbage (look at his three-minute dovetails vid...among the best).
    Shannon -- I can't stand his fillers...please show, don't tell. He can cut half the length of his episodes and still nothing valuable would be lost. (If you have watched Charles Neil's free videos, you know what I mean.)

None of the above or any online presenters, however, can match the clarity and simplicity in delivery of Norm Abram (NY Workshop). Everything was to the point and Norm wasted no words. After all he had only 30 minutes or less each time. Some Fine Woodworking online videos are close to Norm's -- no fillers.

Regardless of the teacher, sooner or later, you will get bored because after the basic set of techniques or skills is developed, there is little to keep on watching. The projects done are the teacher's choices, not yours. I don't want to build a wall clock but that is what is being presented. What do I do? Skip?

I know taking a class in person may not be possible for you...but that is the most effective way to learn hand skills. Being in a class also means there is discipline, apart from guidance. The truth is why waste so many hours in front of the computer screen and then try to duplicate the success of the teacher -- alone by yourself in your own shop.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-05-2015 at 5:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I am also not sure why these paid memberships are so expensive. If you have a 1000 members paying $25 each, that's $25,000 a month income. Does not cost 25 grand to amke that video, not anywhere near.
    Id guess it's because $25 is what the market will bear. Personally, it never mattered to me if he was making a ton of money there (though I doubt he is). I mean, that's capitalism - find a nitch and charge what you can for a good product. Cosman charged what I felt was a fair price and actively engaged in his user forum to answer questions. Several times he and I swapped personal emails answering questions. I feel like I got good value, but maybe someone else feels differently. But I havent seen too many of these guys with quality, regular "shows" charge a lot less than $25.

Fred

Lots of helpful input here, thanks. To me a master of hand tools is a bit like a musician who has mastered an instrument. Yes, some talented people can pick up a guitar and teach themselves, but who wouldn't benefit from having a great teacher?

I caught the hand tool bug at last fall's WIA when a Lee Valley guy showed me that you can dial in a mortise with a router plane in less time than it takes to set up a bit in a router table.
    But, no - I don't think I'll be hauling my Laguna bandsaw out to the curb any time soon.

I am a member of Shannon's Hand Tools School and I highly recommend it. It is a good approach to learning to use hand tools.

Another vote for Paul Sellers. I've been a member of his woodworking master classes for a few years and it's been the best woodworking $ I've spent.

Slightly off-topic but those who have tried Rob Cosmon online tutorials, I have a question for you.

Do you have access to past videos or only those that are current and in the future?

Ta.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Slightly off-topic but those who have tried Rob Cosmon online tutorials, I have a question for you.

Do you have access to past videos or only those that are current and in the future?

Ta.
    I'm pretty sure you have access to all of his videos. He talks about what the future builds will be also. You can't download them legally though.

It's been a few months since I've been a paying member but at that time, all of the previous videos were available. I spent the first couple months watching nothing but past videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post

Ta.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Ditto and plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    It's been a few months since I've been a paying member but at that time, all of the previous videos were available. I spent the first couple months watching nothing but past videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have access to all of his videos.
    Thanks Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I spent the first couple months watching nothing but past videos.
    Yeah, that's what I intend to do. Just wanted to confirm I don't have to watch in real time as the time zone factor is against me.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Sharpening a hand saw is definitely not one of Shannon's strengths.

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com...ing-a-rip-saw/