Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your lathe acc. storage

Show me your lathe acc. storage

So, while I impatiently wait for my new Grizzly G0766 to ship, Im thinking about storage. This will be my first free standing lathe. My old lathe was a benchtop model and my chucks and accessories were just laying on the bench next to the lathe. I need a solution to store all these accessories now. Based on the size of this lathe and the location in my shop, my best bet is to put something under the lathe but Id love to see what others are doing. I havnt decided if Im going to build a ballast box yet. That could limit my under lathe space.

I like having a bench behind me. Needs constant cleaning, but very handy. Mine has plenty of drawers and the first has dividers and holds all of the small items like steb centers, drill chuck, MT cleaner, tailstock chuck mount, etc. A rolling tool cart sets to the end of the bench for wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, tap and die, etc with my vacuum chucks in one of the large bottom drawers.

There is a 4x4 post at the head of the lathe that brings down power and the vacuum generator hangs on it, as does my faceshield and some large calipers. I drilled angled holes in the post for 3/4" dowels and my chucks set on the dowels. On my Jet 1642 there are two shelf brackets cast into the legs. I have 2x shelves in both with gouges setting on the upper one when working on projects. The lower one does not get a lot of use - I put it in to hold ballast, but because of the small size of most of my turnings I have not needed extra ballast yet.

Hope that gives you a few ideas.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

3. When my G0766 arrives, I plan to do something similar to what Greg Just has done ......check out this link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...torage-Cabinet

I plan to use the full space and make a similar cabinet with casters underneath so I can move it out and clean as needed, plus the added drawer space will allow me to unclutter more of my shop/studio. By putting casters underneath, I can also move it back far enough when turning that it does not get in the way of my stance.......it will also allow room for the toes of my shoes to go underneath the cabinet like a toe kick cut out on the bottom of kitchen cabinetry.

I may put a vertical ballast box on either end and attach to the leg castings on the lathe as well........that will take care of extra weight in a more compact way and still be able to use the underneath area for tool and chuck storage.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Roger, that's exactly the type of idea I was looking for! That will work perfect. I don't think my three herniated disks will allow me to bend over one that sticks out so far but I could definitely modify that idea. Thanks!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Roger, that's exactly the type of idea I was looking for! That will work perfect. I don't think my three herniated disks will allow me to bend over one that sticks out so far but I could definitely modify that idea. Thanks!
    Dennis........I edited my post to include more details.......make sure you check them out, because the casters on the bottom would eliminate the back issues!

Dennis .........are you a member of the Grizzly Green Monster Group? [GGMG] If not, go to the community tab near the top of the page, click and then "groups".......it will take you there. A large group of Grizzly owners and information........join up and feel free to post and put up pics!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-05-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Yes, I did join the group. I just havnt had anything worthwhile to say so I have yet to post in there. I stop in often though. Hoping to have lots to post once this beast of a lathe shows up!! Thanks again and I like your idea with the casters.

I built a ballast box first, filled with 300# of bagged concrete, and then a drawer unit on top of that. I also left some space on top so while I am turning, I can lay my tools on top of the box, cushioned nicely by shavings!

I have since made some changes in the lighting setup, so that part is no longer as shown. The sander is temporarily shown there, but I do not store anything open on the boxes - just the temporary storage of lathe tools while turning.

I like the open areas on top and to the side of the drawer unit - very handy while turning. I have other drawer space in the shop, so this was all I needed. The chucks, rests, etc. in the drawers add a lot of weight in addition to the concrete. Very stable setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like that setup John, nice, neat and simple. Everything is there in arms reach.

Red
    RED

Unfortunately, every flat surface in my shop ends up being a "lathe accessory storage"... Mostly my long-bed jointer gets the job, since it's right behind the lathe...

Other than that, I have a wall-mounted tool rack for the gouges and a 30" wide shop-made cabinet for the grinder and everything else...

My Lathe and Lathe Accessories Layout/Storage

I have two lathes and wanted to have accessories accessible to both lathes. Storage is mostly in the open either a magnetic tool hanger or a shelf. Lathe gouges are in a dedicated rack, chucks, both scroll and vacuum are on a high shelf, and most metal tools like scroll keys, knock out tools, spanner wrenches and some special drill bits are on the magnetic tool rack. The larger Jet lathe has a 200lb(give or take) ballast box built onto its legs, the smaller Griz has a simple table with a lower shelf that stores my sanding materials.

IMG_6451.jpg

"The best things in life are not things."

All great ideas guys. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    When my G0766 arrives, I plan to do something similar to what Greg Just has done ......check out this link:
    My first storage unit was similar, but with a slanted face to give maximum access to the bed. It still got in the way.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    My first storage unit was similar, but with a slanted face to give maximum access to the bed. It still got in the way.
    Thom............I will build mine to the dimensions that allow me room to roll it back underneath the lathe and towards the wall behind the lathe.......I have a good 18" beyond the back of the lathe, so with casters on the bottom, I will be able to keep it from getting in my way, and be able to roll it out for cleaning up the shavings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Thom............I will build mine to the dimensions that allow me room to roll it back underneath the lathe and towards the wall behind the lathe.......I have a good 18" beyond the back of the lathe, so with casters on the bottom, I will be able to keep it from getting in my way, and be able to roll it out for cleaning up the shavings as well.
    Didn't think about rollers. Mine was sat on a board between the legs, so it moved with the lathe. Spend a little more and get full extension drawer glides rather than the standard 3/4 ones. Makes drawers much more usable even if harder to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I built a ballast box first, filled with 300# of bagged concrete, and then a drawer unit on top of that. I also left some space on top so while I am turning, I can lay my tools on top of the box, cushioned nicely by shavings!

I have since made some changes in the lighting setup, so that part is no longer as shown. The sander is temporarily shown there, but I do not store anything open on the boxes - just the temporary storage of lathe tools while turning.

I like the open areas on top and to the side of the drawer unit - very handy while turning. I have other drawer space in the shop, so this was all I needed. The chucks, rests, etc. in the drawers add a lot of weight in addition to the concrete. Very stable setup.
    That looks way too clean....you sure you've turned wood in there before?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.