Thread: Queen Canopy Bed Project

Queen Canopy Bed Project

I am building a canopy bed for the wife, the intention is to build a sturdy piece of furniture that will last. We have bought expensive thousand dolla set and they always seem to fall apart, so I figured I would give it a go.

BOM (nominal):
    11- 4x4x96 Southern Pine (Bed Posts/Supports)
    34+-2x4x96 Southern Pine/SPF (for frame/bed slats)
    Hardwood for casing
    construction grade hardware for attachment

Plans:
    See attached Sketchup plan. Not all the pieces are angled correctly, just figuring it out. I chose to leave off the hardware and casing, but being Borg wood you can imagine.

The Current (initial) Plan:
    1. Buy lumber from Lowe's
    2. Attempt to plane/joint lumber at local cabinetmaking shop or on post.
    3. Assemble using hardware from local Borg.

Notes: Not sure if I have access to jointer/planer, thus Borg. There is also no "real" lumberyard I have been able to find in my vicinity. This will be made using a ROS, tablesaw, kreg drig and handheld drill. This is an "after work/weekend" project.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Aidan Acosta; 03-03-2015 at 1:50 PM. Reason: added hyperlink to google drive with sketchup plan

Can't get the plan to show up. One way to improve those beds is to actually make the cloth hangings,they don't look right
    with the bare frame. Sometimes had seasonal treatments along with a year around decorative one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Can't get the plan to show up. One way to improve those beds is to actually make the cloth hangings,they don't look right
    with the bare frame. Sometimes had seasonal treatments along with a year around decorative one.

I updated the link status to "can edit" instead of "can view" so hopefully it will allow for download now.

Can't get that one either, work for anyone else?

The hyperlink in the text is for the ACTUAL sketchup file. If you click it, you have to download it. I use Sketchup Pro 2014. I am also attaching some pictures of the design (sketchup snapshots) hopefully tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Acosta View Post
    There is also no "real" lumberyard I have been able to find in my vicinity.

Where in Alabama?
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Where in Alabama?

Vic Ft. Rucker for a few more months, then I am back to Missouri. All the lumberyards I have spoken to down here "can't" order any hardwoods, or want to charge me ~5x the cost of rough cut (based off of ordering online from the same supplier with home delivery). Also, they refuse to spool up their planer/jointer for less than 1000 BF orders. Obviously less than ideal for someone with no wood storage capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Acosta View Post
    Vic Ft. Rucker for a few more months, then I am back to Missouri. All the lumberyards I have spoken to down here "can't" order any hardwoods, or want to charge me ~5x the cost of rough cut (based off of ordering online from the same supplier with home delivery). Also, they refuse to spool up their planer/jointer for less than 1000 BF orders. Obviously less than ideal for someone with no wood storage capabilities.
    I see. Well, I was hoping I could help, but I'm not familiar with any options in the wiregrass. Perhaps someone else can offer something.
    Chuck Taylor

There must be a Creeker within a few hundred miles of you that would be willing to sell you some S3S wood at a fair price + shipping to meet your needs. Or you could maybe go pick it up, and make a new friend in the process. Come on Creekers, someone step up !

John

Quick question, just noticed I posted this (I think) in the wrong subforum. Should I request to have this moved to the "design" subforum? Being as the project is still in the design phase?

As you've noticed, not everybody on this forum has Sketchup, so posting a sketchup file doesn't get you as many eyeballs as if you post simple jpgs. Everybody can see them. In Sketchup, pull down the File menu to Export, and on that submenu, click on 2D. There, you essentially take a jpg of your current Sketchup view. It is a high-resolution jpeg, so to post on SMC you'll likely want to crop it, and reduce the resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    As you've noticed, not everybody on this forum has Sketchup, so posting a sketchup file doesn't get you as many eyeballs as if you post simple jpgs. Everybody can see them. In Sketchup, pull down the File menu to Export, and on that submenu, click on 2D. There, you essentially take a jpg of your current Sketchup view. It is a high-resolution jpeg, so to post on SMC you'll likely want to crop it, and reduce the resolution.
    2222.jpg333.jpgCanopy Bed Project1_v20132.jpgCanopy Bed Project1_v20133.jpg