Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No furnace since the first of the year.

No furnace since the first of the year.

A true life California survival tale.

I am sure glad we had a real mild winter here. My furnace repair man has been waiting for parts since January. We have an enclosed patio with a heater, and for about a week, we used a fan to get the heat in the family room, when the temp inside got down to 61 degrees. It was terrible, I actually had to put a sweater on, inside the house. My wife used a snuggy and a blanket. Then again, she also uses a snuggy in August.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

No sympathy here Rick. Here in NH we had 3 days in the month of February where the temperature got above 32F and even then, the highest was 35F. Yesterday we had a hot one when the temp got all the way up to 45F.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

That's fine, the ground here in Wisconsin doesn't shake.

Don't forget the 9 feet of snow we got to shovel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

[...]
    Rick, thanks for the comic relief. With the bitter cold, piles of snow, grim news I read ever day, or hear on radio or TV, this was much appreciated ...

And you said Gas prices are what ther in CA

61º ? Oh geeze. I feel sorry for you.
    It hasn't gotten up to 30º here since January.
    We keep the house at 64º. Nice and comfy.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Some good friends of ours moved to Pittsburgh 18 months ago to be near to their daughter & grandkids. They're moving back to ABQ this summer, if not sooner.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    We get a noticeable shaker once every couple of decades, you get snowed in every single year. I'll take the earthquakes any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Or slide down the hill after a rain. Or burn.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    No sympathy here Rick. Here in NH we had 3 days in the month of February where the temperature got above 32F and even then, the highest was 35F. Yesterday we had a hot one when the temp got all the way up to 45F.
    I went outside a couple of weeks ago. It was 12 degrees. I KNOW it was 12 degrees because I was in such disbelief I looked it up. I swear, it felt like the first day of spring. I was shoveling with nothing but fleece. It's amazing what you'll get used to!

Each to their own. I'm from Colorado...grew up with skis on my feet. California is all right but I do miss snow and cold and 4 seasons quite a bit. Unfortunately, LOML does NOT miss such things and so here we stay....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Not for me, move away from LA as soon as I can. Shaking is not for me.
    Ed. But I love snow
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    We get a noticeable shaker once every couple of decades, you get snowed in every single year. I'll take the earthquakes any time.

I am sure glad we had a real mild winter here. My furnace repair man has been waiting for parts since January. We have an enclosed patio with a heater, and for about a week, we used a fan to get the heat in the family room, when the temp inside got down to 61 degrees. It was terrible, I actually had to put a sweater on, inside the house. My wife used a snuggy and a blanket. Then again, she also uses a snuggy in August.
    My heart bleeds for you. Tonight it's going to be 5F and tomorrow night it's going to be 8F. At least during the day it'll be in the 20s

Gee, that's terrible!

There must be some sort of Federal Emergency relief fund available for disasters like this?

It was -25 this morning while I was scraping the car windshield, almost brok out into a sweat :-)