Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have 3-Phase???

How many of you have 3-Phase???

Do you have actual 3-phase or a converter? Also how many machines that use 3-Phase? I"m just wondering if it gets old to always turn your convertor on to use a machine for just 5 min of work There's actual 3-phase a mile away from me, but I'm wondering what they'd charge to bring it in??? Just so many good deals on bigger 3-Phase machines
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I have a static converter for my industrial grade lathe and mill and a VFD for my CNC router. The static converter (Phase-Matic) is not the ideal converter but has worked well for me for 20+ years. Turn on the 220 breaker in the panel box, turn on the lathe or mill and go.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have it, haven't used it yet though, just moving in. Noticed all those good deals myself!

If the power company in your area is like mine, a mile run should only cost you $100 a foot or some ridiculous number.

I have a Rpc in my shop it's no trouble at all turn it on or off.Sometimes I just leave it running for most of the day.Doent cost much at all to run.Aj

It's unusual to have 3-phase in a residential area. Even if there's 3-phase on the power poles in front of your house, getting it into your house will mean that the power company has to install 3 transformers (one for each phase) on the pole and bring the service to your home. Then, you'd have to have a three phase distribution panel.

All that adds up to real money. If the power demand for a tool is not too great, a VFD is an excellent solution - it gives you speed control, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    my guess, based on what others have posted in the past, is you are looking at thousands to get true 3 phase power.
    I have a lathe and a RAS that are 3 phase powered by vfds quick and easy

Just installed a RPC Q4 of last year. A 3 phase service was not an option where I am located. Not a great deal of usage yet but it has not been an issue to know I need to start another piece of machinery before I run the 3 phase tool. When I know I am going to be using my shaper I pretty much keep the RPC running as the idle cost is pretty minuscule.

Don't know what your Electric company charges to run but I was doing a remodel in a industrial park and they wanted 3 phase that was 1500 feet away and was quoted $30,000 to get it to the building.

I'm out in the country a ways, and also my dad has a grain elevator and bins on the property which almost all the motors are 3-phase and running off a converter, so I'm thinking it would be more enticing to get actual 3ph, but I'll just have to call and see what it will compare to just going the convertor route.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I use VFD's (Variable Frequency Drive) Single phase 240 to 240 3 phase. These work great. ebay, or Automation Direct are good sources.

230/400 V 3ph residential service in Germany and much of Northern Europe is pretty common. Nice feature I wish we had in the US.

10hp rotary phase converter in current shop (only one DC uses it) and 5 machines running VFDs - big shaper, 12" jointer, cnc knee mill's main drive motor, cnc router's spindle, and a bandsaw feeder. I also have a 20hp rotary phase converter and 3ph panel wired up in the new shop with caps and motor to make it 30hp.

Was quoted $9K for real deal 3ph 2 years ago that exists about 150' from my existing shop. They wanted me to buy the transformers plus I needed overhead access for it in the existing shop. Five years ago they said it would have been free. Kinda glad I skipped it because of building a larger shop last year.

I chooser to install a 400 new meterbase on the house and run dedicated 200amp service trenched underground to new shop with outdoor disconnects for house and new shop at the meterbase. Power company ran new lines to house and put in a new transformer at the street for free.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have about $500 in a used 10 hp 3 phase motor, a box full of capacitors from WNY Supply to make it work as a rpc and a used load center with several breakers. I only wish I had done it 30 years ago. Vfd's are great if you need speed control (I have one on an exhaust fan), but get expensive above 3hp. A setup like mine allows you to run multiple machines off one converter that is very simple to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Do you have actual 3-phase or a converter? Also how many machines that use 3-Phase? I"m just wondering if it gets old to always turn your convertor on to use a machine for just 5 min of work There's actual 3-phase a mile away from me, but I'm wondering what they'd charge to bring it in??? Just so many good deals on bigger 3-Phase machines
    I think you will likely be "shocked" to see what the utility company will charge. A friend has a huge metal shop on his property, and had to bring in 3-phase. The utility pole was on the opposite side of the road. Cost him $10K to have the power brought over to a pole on his side of the road. If you are needing a mile of cable, imagine what just the cable will cost! Might be cheaper to move closer to that power ...

I live in a rural area and have had it for several years, probably 15. When they ran it in the costs were spread over a monthly minimum bill of $120 for three years. I never worried about the minimums because I could feed the house off the shop buildings if any month's usage was low.

I don't work in the shops as much now but it is nice to have instant three phase power without messing with phase converters. The downside is the three phase power is not quite double the cost of standard power.