Thread: How to ship slabs of wood

How to ship slabs of wood

I've got some large 8/4 slabs of walnut that are in my way, so I'm considering selling them on the web.
    What's got me stumped is how to ship them.
    I see others on ebay doing so, so I reached out to one of them, and asked him how he ships these slabs.

Here's the slab:

aa.JPG

To get it from Massachusetts, to Chicago, he quoted me $340 bucks.
    Can someone give me some insight on how he might go about this?

My slabs are similar....so do I need to build a framework around it, and do I need a fork lift?
    I know folks sell these slabs all the time, so what's the drill?

My neighbor sold a couch via UPS, and she said UPS came out, picked it up, packed it and shipped it. I'm sure she paid dearly, but I didn't know UPS did such a thing.

I recommend that you start here:

http://www.uship.com/ltl-freight/

You will want to take a look at the "learn more link" (http://www.uship.com/ltl-freight/#articles)

UShip allows me to post a listing, and lets folks bid on shipping it.
    That doesn't help me give prospective buyers, a quote.

People look at my slabs, and want to know what it's going to cost to get it to them.
    I can't post a listing on UShip, and wait a week for bids.

It goes on a pallet, which you likely build. The pallet has gaps for forklift forks, which is how the shippers are going to handle it. Probably you put a piece of OSB on top, because shippers will stack other pallets on top of yours. Strap it all together with steel strapping bands. You need to be able to put the pallet+slab on to a freight truck. You might want a forklift to do that, but maybe you can think of some other way.

What Jamie said, or you can list it here and ask someone to pick it up, and make it our problem. Probably get less money for a pickup, but also less work. Wish I was closer to you, I have always wanted to do a nakashima style table.

From a business perspective, you need to work with a freight forwarder who can get you the best prices on LTL shipments. Yes you will need to palletize it. I can forward a couple of contacts if you're interested.

Ok, I think I get it.
    I can build a pallet the size of the flitch. And, I can secure it.

Then, it sounds like I'd need to get a good estimate of the weight.
    Then, if I know a freight forwarder, I could give them the measurements, and weight, and destination zip code, and they can give me the cost, eh?

Seems like I'd be calling the forwarder, every time someone emails me with their zip code, to get an estimate....
    Any of these forwarders have websites, where I can garner this info myself?

Just another comment: Make the pallet slightly bigger than the flitch and secure the flitch well as I suspect it may not always remain flat. I can definitely see a scenario where the pallet is stood on it's side for loading purposes, given your dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Ok, I think I get it.
    I can build a pallet the size of the flitch. And, I can secure it.

Then, it sounds like I'd need to get a good estimate of the weight.
    Then, if I know a freight forwarder, I could give them the measurements, and weight, and destination zip code, and they can give me the cost, eh?

Seems like I'd be calling the forwarder, every time someone emails me with their zip code, to get an estimate....
    Any of these forwarders have websites, where I can garner this info myself?
    LTL freight pricing can be a bit tricky, as they use a formula to determine the weight per square and cubic foot, when then determines your freight class, which is then applied to the square footage in order to determine the freight cost.

Residential versus commercial delivery can make a $50 - $100.00 difference too. Same thing with residential versus commercial pickup.

Clear as mud? <grin>