Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the board foot blues! (Help!)

Got the board foot blues! (Help!)

I have no idea why I find board feet so confusing....

I'm pricing out some cabinet doors.
    I have 14 doors I want to make.
    I want to use raised panels.
    I want to use 3/4" stock.

I want the doors to use 2" rails and stiles.
    The total width of each door is 17" - as measured from the outside of each stile.
    The total length of each door is 29.75" as measured from the outside of each rail.

I come up with 3.51 board feet for each door for the raised panels for a total of 49.14 BF. (17" wide by 29.75 long = 505.75/144 = 3.51 x 14 doors = 49.14)
    I come up with 14.28 board feet for the rails and stiles. ( 17" x 2 (34) plus 29.75 x 2 (69.5) = 93.5" (long) x 2" (wide) =187 X 14 (doors) = 2618/144 = 14.28)

18.1 +38.61 = 52.89 BF plus 30% - 68.75 BF

Is this right?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Very close to my estimate, the devil is in the yield details. That waste factor can go between 10% and 40%+ IME depending on how the material splits up to yield your parts, etc. But 30% is a good safe average for estimating most species....walnut often approaches the 45% waste depending on spec and quality of input.

I Came up with 52.5BF before waste, that's (18X30/144)*14. Add your waste factor to that.
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 03-06-2015 at 4:13 PM.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Yep you got it.

I'd figure all my linear inches of a certain width stock (say all your style and rail stock) then divide that out. That way you have the LF of all the stock you need to prep. Figure panel stock just the way you did for the door, but group by multiples.

So you'll need 1309 LI of 2" stock or 109 LF add for waste. I'll also divide that number by the length of board I'm using, if all the rips are able to be from the same length boards. So if 8' long boards you'll need 13.63 rips with out waste figured in.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 03-06-2015 at 2:34 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    I get 2.5 bf for each panel. They will only be about 13.75 x 26.5

The rails and stiles are about 1.3 bf. for each door. Remember the rails will be about 4" shorter than the width for the door.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-06-2015 at 5:08 PM.

I think you are missing something, if the outside dimension of the doors is 17" x 29.75", that includes the raised panel. I come up with 49.17 bdft. You need to add for the tongues and part of the raised panel that is lost for inset into the stiles and rails, my rail and stile set uses 1/4 tongues so I add 1/2" to the dimensions for what is lost there . Add what you want for waste for the total you will need. I just figure what is the area I need to cover with the doors. My assumption is you are purchasing 4/4 stock and milling to the 3/4" thickness.

We all came out with almost the same quantity of wood but I used a simpler approach rather then figure out the bdft in each component I just use the total area to be covered.

I used this approach when I calculated the stock needed for a vanity front and come out on the money, only a little left over.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 03-06-2015 at 3:27 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I would download this calculator.

http://extension.missouri.edu/script...ore/G05506.asp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I think you are missing something, if the outside dimension of the doors is 17" x 29.75", that includes the raised panel. I come up with 49.17 bdft. You need to add for the tongues and part of the raised panel that is lost for inset into the stiles and rails, my rail and stile set uses 1/4 tongues so I add 1/2" to the dimensions for what is lost there .
    If the rails and stiles are 2" wide and you put in a 3/8" deep groove for the panel, then your panel ends up being no more than 17-4+3/8+3/8 = 13.75 maximum wide. The panel height is 29.75-4+3/8+3/8 = 26.5 The area of the door panel is 26.5 x 13.75 = 357.75 square inches. Dividing that by 144 gives you 2.484375 square feet or board feet assuming you start with 1" thick material planed down to 3/4"

Stiles are 29.75 x 2 = 59.5 square inches or .413 board feet. Two stiles per door would be .826 bdft. Rails are 2 x 13.75 = 27.5 square inches or .19 bdft Two rails per door would be about .38 bdft. Total wood would be 2.48 +.826 + .38 = 3.686 bdft not counting waste per door.

For 14 doors you would need at least 51 bdft plus waste.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-06-2015 at 5:06 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The rails and stiles are about 1.3 bf. for each door. Remember the rails will be about 4" shorter than the width for the door.
    Id have forgotten all about that and made them too long..
    Thanks for the heads up.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Don't forget about messing up and having to cut another one...and then messing that one up.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Don't forget about messing up and having to cut another one...and then messing that one up.

You mess up??????? What's your waste factor in that?

I think you realy need to figure out how to optimize this in terms of the actual width boards you will buy. Once you narrow it down to stock sizes that you can make use of its pretty easy to figure linear feet. Board feet is a senseless proposition in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    You mess up??????? What's your waste factor in that?
    Oh, I never mess up, Bill. That was for Rich.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-06-2015 at 7:11 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I never make mistooks...........
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I just figure what is the area I need to cover with the doors. My assumption is you are purchasing 4/4 stock and milling to the 3/4" thickness.

We all came out with almost the same quantity of wood but I used a simpler approach rather then figure out the bdft in each component I just use the total area to be covered.

I used this approach when I calculated the stock needed for a vanity front and come out on the money, only a little left over.
    I just used this approach on my very first set of cabinets. The calculation came out well.

I just use L x W to come up with the rough square feet required. For 4/4 stock, a sq. foot = a BF. I always buy at least 25% extra, so an exact calculation isn't required. I focus more on making sure I buy widths that minimize waste than anything else.

John