Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard from David Weaver?

George, very good points. Also, I hadn't realized that the fellow was gone from here.

With regard to that fellow you are writing about, if it is the same thread I am thinking of (and I am pretty sure it is), he won't be missed from here at all, but David will be.

I think such fellows are a bit of a problem, if readers are not able to sort out who is correct. Folks can spend money for tools and mess up a project because of bad advise.

David may have been trying to fight the good fight to prevent such. It is sad to see the arrogant wind bags frustrate the good guys to the point that they leave.

I respect folks who have expressed other views, and think all folks who post should be treated kindly and with respect. However, I do not believe that every ones views are equally valid and useful.

Folks like the guy that left hurt themselves, often, more than others. If he would have combined what he knew, and his point was in fact valid, with what David and the others were trying to tell him he could have become a lot wiser. What he wrote was correct, but he was missing the big picture and he wouldn't listen to those that did see it.

I saw a very sharp young man with a similar attitude fired from a good job, he thought he knew it all, refused to give others credit for their contributions, would not listen to others, and in short no one could stand to work with the guy. Too bad, very sharp young man.

At any rate, I appreciated your comment, and hope that David may eventually decide to come back.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 03-11-2015 at 12:49 AM.

As a somewhat newbie to the site, I Lurked before posting. Gives a chance to sort truth. I'll take Davids Truth before style, Thanx
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-12-2015 at 8:34 PM.

I'll miss reading David's posts here - I appreciate the time he's spent writing for the benefit of us all.

Cheers -

Rob

For you users of wooden planes, David posted a new video on YouTube about solving problems of shavings clogging up in the throat of these planes. I have acquired three coffin smoothers recently, all of which have this problem. It seems to be pretty good information that I will try to use. Just search YouTube on "David W" and you'll find it along with his series on making a wooden try plane.

Dave's not even lurking here. I put a PM in his box and he has not read it yet, or he would have pinged me, I'm sure. I'm not sure his current forum hangout has PM capability.

WC does not have PM capability, but it has something just as good. Check it out.

As a point of information, when anyone moves from being a member to a guest they no longer have access to their profile and Private Messages so they are unable to respond.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I was away most of the day, but I have read most of this thread.

It is hard to know what to say here. It is frustrating to have people without much experience suggest one does not know what he is talking about. That some clumsy blogger must be a higher authority. Or many other examples in this vein
    I would encourage you not to give up because of that. There are a lot of people who see through the sham and know real wisdom when they see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I too am sorry David left.

Well we got to get this thread to 100 posts
    right ?
    I was going to say that often a person can leave a comment/message on the YouTube some one has put up.
    I decided to actually look to verify that his was taking comments.
    I went to YouTube and entered various version of : david weaver making wooden hand plane
    and got nada. Maybe I didn't look through enough pages.

As far as watching an instructional vid on wooden hand plane making I would probably be more inclined to get ahold of Old Street Tools plane making DVDs.

But anyway . . . who is going to go for 100 ?
    We could even turn this into a 6000 post thread like we did in another forum. Of course there might be a post or two about how to tune your snow blower and theoretical discussions about which snow blower David owns based on his sensibilities and general tool preferences . . .

PS: Oh bajaysas I clocked it. I thought I was #98
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-13-2015 at 9:30 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Winton, try searching on youtube for "making a double iron beech try plane"

Thanks Shaun.
    side note when I looked at the main Neander page it showed you posted the 100th post; when I opened the thread it shows you posted #101.
    Sorry . . . i got a little stuck on that . . . I'm better now.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

For anyone else having difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/user/daw162

Chris G., Glad hear that you are doing well and are absent because, as Warren Buffet implores people to do, you are investing in yourself. I have thought of your contributions often while reading this thread as well.

Cheers,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

This is not my sandbox. If I want to participate here, I have to work within the rules. I may not agree, but I cooperate.

However, on a personal level, I don't place too high a value on friendliness and inclusiveness. They're nice, but not at the top of my list. It's like a hug from a teacher. Nice, but it won't help me learn algebra. Maybe I'm old fashioned (or just getting old) but I prefer to trade in information and I enjoy spirited (but polite) debate. Being told I am wrong is not mean. I should put on my big boy pants and either respond with facts or accept that I might actually be...

...wrong.

In today's society, we seem utterly focused on developing personalities akin to hothouse flowers. All opinions must be respected and all points of view are equally valid. Everyone gets a ribbon, a pat on the back and are told they won. We deign to tell anyone they are wrong. Correction is taken as demeaning rather than instructive. I'm no psychologist but I'd guess that leads to a sad combination of arrogance and ignorance. Intellectual entitlement, perhaps.

My doctor spent many years studying and practicing medicine. My gardner knows a lot about plants and lawn equipment. Asking my doctor for advice on feeding a hibiscus may or may not yield good results. Asking my gardner about that lump under my arm might lead to catastrophic results.

All opinions are not equal.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 03-14-2015 at 12:17 AM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle