Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polylines

Bert, how big is final piece? From your attachment it is less than 3" square. That should take no more than 10 minutes to engrave. Are you saying 7 hours including artwork setup?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I see 4 problems with quick examination. The "rectangle" around the stars is open, starting at bottom left near the 2nd star up on far left and ending at top left. There is a stray line that probably should just be deleted underneath a star; starting at the top left star, go down one and right one to the 2nd star down in the 2nd column to find the stray line. The bottom stripe on the flag is open, starting on the bottom of the stripe approximately in the middle and ending on the bottom near the left side. The "four stripes" to the right of the stars aren't really stripes, just an open zigzag that starts at the top and works its way down; you actually get what looks like separate stripes if you join the start and end.

Tony it how long I've been working tring to get it to engrave right. It only takes a few mins but it keeps saying I have open polylines
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Bert, how big is final piece? From your attachment it is less than 3" square. That should take no more than 10 minutes to engrave. Are you saying 7 hours including artwork setup?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

bert,

To check for open polylines set your nudge offset high enough to clear current size of image. Break image apart then move one piece in any direction and you will see where you have open polylines.
    I like to use smart fill toll to achieve closed images. One thing also in your attachment I see pole has bit map fill.
    Here is my try.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Xenetech 1625 x2,

Nudge offset is intended to deal with small offsets where it might look like the figure is closed but actually is not. In this instance, though, the offset value would have to be ridiculously huge to close the open polylines. See my previous post as to where they are. Or use the shape tool to select each shape in turn. When you see, as you do with the bottom-most stripe, that the start and end triangles are nowhere near each other, you know you have an open shape.

I couldn't get it to open, thanks for tring tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    bert,

To check for open polylines set your nudge offset high enough to clear current size of image. Break image apart then move one piece in any direction and you will see where you have open polylines.
    I like to use smart fill toll to achieve closed images. One thing also in your attachment I see pole has bit map fill.
    Here is my try.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert

Things like this are where a good clip art file comes in handy.. You may even have a drawing similar to that on your version X5. A Google search will turn up thousands and maybe some vector items.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike I downloaded a vector file of the flag from free downloads just so many to choose from and there all like this one with overlapping lines. I'm not great in corel or lasercut so its difficult but I'm learning. For the most part I can do what I want but now and then I get a file thats real hard for me to figure out
    How does one go about finding a particular graphic in the corel files. I look in there and theres hundreds and there labeled by number so if Iwanted to find a car , or flag how would you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bert

Things like this are where a good clip art file comes in handy.. You may even have a drawing similar to that on your version X5. A Google search will turn up thousands and maybe some vector items.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 03-08-2015 at 4:43 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The Flag.cdr just above opened fine in X6 and I used the one on the right as a Vector export into my LaserCut program. Set up fine for a vector and the simulate shows it will work.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-08-2015 at 5:35 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Mike I downloaded a vector file of the flag from free downloads just so many to choose from and there all like this one with overlapping lines.
    Just FYI, LaserWorks has an option where you can delete overlapping lines (lines that lay on top of others). You can also close gaps.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Bert,

Try these two options
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Xenetech 1625 x2,

Hiya Bert,

You need to get away from splines to use LaserCUT effectively, it doesn't handle beziers very well at all and in many cases will cause crashes. The files is compiled to a point variant when it downloads to the machines so all those little grip points get added in. Even a Bezier file of 100k can end up at 40 to 50 meg when compiled

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Rich I have lasercut 5.3 does thathave the option you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Just FYI, LaserWorks has an option where you can delete overlapping lines (lines that lay on top of others). You can also close gaps.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert

There are many preset but adjustable drawing tools in Corel. In the attached example I used the table tool, rectangle tool, star tool, convert to curves, the envelope tool and the smart fill tool. I didn't actually draw anything.

drawing a flag.cdr
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hey Dave been a while
    anyway I have a hard time understanding all this polylines , splines and beziers stuff. I try reading some of the tutorial, but I find them hard to understand. I need real basic instruction, you know laymen s terms. Not only that but you have to know what you want to do and what process will do that for you. Its not easy not knowing. I'm learning by doing and sometimes it takes a whole day of trying different functions in corel to see what they do. People here telling me to try this and that really helps me learn also. I know that some of the stuff I design and make you guys could do in half an hour, but sometimes it takes me an entire day to figure it out. I'll post a picture when I get on my other computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Hiya Bert,

You need to get away from splines to use LaserCUT effectively, it doesn't handle beziers very well at all and in many cases will cause crashes. The files is compiled to a point variant when it downloads to the machines so all those little grip points get added in. Even a Bezier file of 100k can end up at 40 to 50 meg when compiled

cheers

Dave
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander