Thread: Customized plane tote

Customized plane tote

Anybody ever take a rasp to your plane tote? Or try to create another one?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

There are some good threads here on that; just search.
    The only plane tote I was dying to take a rasp to was my Lie-Nelson bevel up jack.
    I love that plane by the way. It is a really nice plane. The handle on it is gorgeous to look at. I am not kidding. That was PART of the problem.

Let me back up. Under really heavy planing for long periods the handle made my hand feel like it was bruised. I have smallish hands by the way. Somebody with larger paws might do just fine with that handle.

So after a few too many planing sessions I takes up my wood rasp and starts into thinking about just how and where I am going to commit the unspeakable act . . .
    but the handle she is a gorgeous know/no ?

I put the rasp down and backed away in shame.

Besides I could not decide where and how much; nor could I decide how to make a new tote that wouldn't hurt.

After much use, really hard use, the plane handle reshaped me. Now I don't have a problem with it.

For what it is worth the Varitas handles, you know those kind of plane Jane straightish things that when you look at them you say aaaaahhhhhhh poor thing . . . and then you think "I want that plane but as soon as I get it I am going to change the tote to a nice one" . . .
    you know the one I mean ?
    I have several planes with those Varitas plane straight totes on them . . .
    I have used them just as hard and as long as the LN jack . . .
    harder and longer even.
    No pain ever even the first few sessions.
    no problems
    For using (but not looking at) I love those totes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-08-2015 at 12:15 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Anybody ever take a rasp to your plane tote?
    Yes.

Mostly on the #5 and larger tote to open up the curve at the base. Most of them feel like they are trying to cut off the circulation in my little finger.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Make another one.

First, if you ever resell the L-N then it will be worth more with an original handle. Second, you will find that making a handle isn't that hard. There are lots of information available on how. Third, I also have smallish hands and sometimes find that a thicker handle feels better. If your hands are thin, then a thicker handle spreads out the forces. However, finger length also comes into play. You might try some saws as well and see what design feels best and then incorporate it into a plane tote. Experiment.

Good luck. Eric

I have several Stanley planes that have the aluminum totes, and a #6 with a missing tote right now. Lee Valley has a PDF on their site with the critical dimensions and a template for the original Stanley tote shape. So tote making is in my future projects list.

However, I agree with Winton that the Veritas totes are much more comfortable. I don't even mind how they look. So I think I'm going to try and make Veritas shaped totes for my Stanleys, as much as the bolt hole will allow me to anyway.

I have written quite a bit about the ergonomics and design of plane handles. This is featured in the review of the Veritas/LV Custom Planes:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...omPlanes2.html

One of the results of this was a design for a Stanley #604 ...

There is more discussion inn this Index page: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Commentary/Index.html

Handle design affects the balance and control of a plane. It has a part to play ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Handle design affects the balance and control of a plane. It has a part to play ..
    Back when I was having hand trouble I suspected that. Maybe subconsciously then and consciously now. What brought it to my attention was the joinery-saw handle discussions here on SawMill. Until then I really didn't pay much attention to angle/hand to blade/line of force relationships on a tool I mostly assumed it was fat verses skinny, curvy verses straighter and then the flourishes all over the place that I assumed were artistic flourishes . Very recently I have learned some of the "flourishes" are functional.

I now have a much better, if seriously limited, appreciation of these variables.
    One thing I knew, back then, was I had spent so much time investigating bench design and playing scales so I had an entry level understanding of hand tool woodworking that I had no more energy to devote to study (plane handle shapes) and just REALLY REALLY needed to work on my projects and make something.

So I was very reluctant to possibly ruin the handle on my most used plane or go through the process of trial and error making alternatives. I put up with the discomfort and worked like a mad man.

I am only now curious but have for the most part moved on : to other planes and (physically) much easier projects.

Thank you Derek,
    Your attention to detail and the dissemination of your findings is a great treasure that I hope the lurkers here do not take for granted. I took the woodworking community in general (that it would always be here in magazines and forums) and forums in particular for granted and now things seem to be drying up big time.

PS: I want to post more here today in other threads and "cause trouble" in my normal mode of lunacy but this forum is very hard to get to load where I am. Takes minutes to load one thread. Another minute or more to go advanced or preview a post. Other sites load OK. So to quote Arnold "I'll be back".
    But
    Better is Better.

Derek,
    Whoo HOOO
    Saw Mill is loadable again ! Quick like a bunny.

I am in the process of reading your plane tote/custom LV article.
    I had to stop and comment on a rather unrelated side note that I observed and feel a need to convey.
    I am looking at the photo of Jeff Miller demonstrating his stance.
    I note that the foot on his rear leg is markedly turned out of line with the direction of his plane stroke.
    A strong orientation for traction for the rear foot but in the long term a very bad habit to get into.
    I know this from actual experience and damage I have inflicted on myself.

The photo of you, how ever, shows you have your rear foot more in line with the stroke as if you could catch something with your cat like toes and propel it behind you with a skillful flick of your foot.

This
    is much healthier for the knee joint in the long term. It is more like walking or running which is what the knee was designed for. The former (Jeff Miller) foot orientation would be good for pushing a stick or rock off a hiking trail but not really good for the knee joint when repeated with strong force and thousands of repetitions.

Did I mention I think I have permanently damaged my knee to a small degree from making this error in body alignment ?

So keep up the good work and pass it on.

PS: before this I have had absolutely zero knee injuries or knee problems. I no longer run or ride to any significant amount so it could only be the hand planing.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-08-2015 at 8:31 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Wow Derek. That 604 tote looks amazing. Exactly what I was thinking of going for. Thanks for all your hard work and research in the area of tote ergonomics.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Derek,
    Whoo HOOO
    Saw Mill is loadable again ! Quick like a bunny.

I am in the process of reading your plane tote/custom LV article.
    I had to stop and comment on a rather unrelated side note that I observed and feel a need to convey.
    I am looking at the photo of Jeff Miller demonstrating his stance.
    I note that the foot on his rear leg is markedly turned out of line with the direction of his plane stroke.
    A strong orientation for traction for the rear foot but in the long term a very bad habit to get into.
    I know this from actual experience and damage I have inflicted on myself.

The photo of you, how ever, shows you have your rear foot more in line with the stroke as if you could catch something with your cat like toes and propel it behind you with a skillful flick of your foot.

This
    is much healthier for the knee joint in the long term. It is more like walking or running which is what the knee was designed for. The former (Jeff Miller) foot orientation would be good for pushing a stick or rock off a hiking trail but not really good for the knee joint when repeated with strong force and thousands of repetitions.

Did I mention I think I have permanently damaged my knee to a small degree from making this error in body alignment ?

So keep up the good work and pass it on.

PS: before this I have had absolutely zero knee injuries or knee problems. I no longer run or ride to any significant amount so it could only be the hand planing.
    Thanks Winton

I am sure that Jeff Miller and I have different experience in life that contribute to a (similar but) different way of looking at the body ergonomics of hand planing. I think Jeff is or was a serious cyclist. I not sure how that works, since my years of cycling were reserved for getting to junior and high school My own experiences come from years of karate when I was a young adult, many years of serious tennis and squash, and decades of surfing and windsurfing. All of these sports emphasise the use of the hips in power and control, and bending the knees and remaining low for balance. I am sure that others could talk of the sports they played - skiing, golf .... - and how these are treated in a similar way. I find this an interesting subject since since the mechanics of hand planing and the ergonomics of handplanes, themselves, seen so similar.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here's one I made a long time ago. Only suited to someone right handed, however.

Also made a knob that was not round. Eventually sold the plane with the knob and tote.

I wasn't really satisfied with it. If I was to do it again, I'd do it a bit differently. It's walnut.

Mike

Tote-001.jpg Tote-005.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-09-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Maybe I don't understand which hand I'm supposed to use on the tote but that one looks perfect for a left hander such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Here's one I made a long time ago. Only suited to someone right handed, however.

Also made a knob that was not round. Eventually sold the plane with the knob and tote.

I wasn't really satisfied with it. If I was to do it again, I'd do it a bit differently. It's walnut.

Mike

Tote-001.jpg Tote-005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Maybe I don't understand which hand I'm supposed to use on the tote but that one looks perfect for a left hander such as myself.
    Because of the way the tote was shaped, it would feel fairly awkward if you tried to grip it with your left hand. It was shaped for a natural grip with the right hand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Whoa look at that rear tote !
    Looks like a handle right out of Beast Master.
    The only way to hang on and stay atop a dragon in full tilt flight.
    Nice one !
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Whoa look at that rear tote !
    Thank goodness it's not pink or else we'd all be in the wrong forum and threads entitled 'home hardenss test' would take on a different meaning altogether!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"