Thread: Wife bought me a Jet 716300 Drill press for my birthday...

Wife bought me a Jet 716300 Drill press for my birthday...

Hello,

A while back I asked for opinions and I received quite a few on the Jet 716300 drill press. Mostly concern about the depth lock and such. Anyway it was between that and the delta and the delta was much heavier and taller which made it rough on my shop which is 2 inches taller than the top of my head. My wife snooped my tool browsing history and bought it for me for my birthday.

I want to preface this with the fact that I have never owned a drill press of my own and while I have used some very fine drill presses from my families shops, I am by no means anymore than a Novice.

That being said, I played around with it all day yesterday, measured run out and generally put a hole in everything that wasn't fastened. I have to say that compared to almost all of the jet tools I have received (all are hand me downs 10-20 years old) this has a great fit and finish. They did a nice job of cleaning up welds and casts to make it look a lot better than I am used to.

Anyway, there is .001 run out which I have to think is acceptable for a drill press worth 739.00. Additionally, there is a slight vibration when the quill is moved all the way, I think it may be that the gear shaft it travels down may have a slight imperfection but it's not really much of an issue at least so far.

I would like to share any information, answer any questions that people might have because I was not able to learn much about this in the real world. Let me know if I can take any photos, listen to anything or perform any operations on it. You all have given me so much help and I would like to do anything I can to help anyone considering this tool.

Bottom line is that I like it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Sounds like your wife is trying to keep you happy. Maybe she is dropping a hint for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
    Bottom line is that I like it.
    That's all that matters. Happy birthday Joe, enjoy your new machine.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Joe,

And happy birthday. Please post some pictures of your new drill press when you get the chance.

PHM

Great post Joe. Take a look at the area around the shaft for the quill there should be a screw that will allow you to tighten up the play in the quill as it travels. Great birthday present. You wanna trade wives?
    Last edited by Chuck Hart; 03-08-2015 at 3:55 AM. Reason: spelling