Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time change

Time change

Why do we tolerate this biannual idiotic changing of time? I'm for adopting Arizona's disregard of daylight savings time nationwide, anyone else?

I was hoping the extra hour of daylight I just gained would help melt the snow quicker.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It's so when our legislators spend all day in the capital building doing nothing, they still have time for a round of golf.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Yeah, pretending it is some other time is kind of silly. As educated as people are , they don't have the understanding of
    some natural things that every culture on earth had for ......a long time. I keep one clock on EST ,one on local mean time,
    and one on "pretend time" Our kitchen looks like the background of the early TV news shows.....which I guess is fitting ,
    since that is the place from which I send these broadcasts...and now a word from our sponsor.

That is enlightening Mel. It is what ever time you want it to be.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It's so when our legislators spend all day in the capital building doing nothing, they still have time for a round of golf.
    Eliminating it won't get any additional votes, but might antagonize someone. So our "legislators" will never get rid of it, no matter how destructive it is.
    If only the NRA or AARP would come out against it...

I am 100% dead set against getting rid of DST. I would be 100% for just staying on DST year round other than the pain it would cause for us computer folks who would have to patch everything to get rid of the biannual time change.

It stays light in July until nearly 10 pm with DST. I work a day shift in an office so it getting light at 3 am or 4 am wouldn't help me. People seem to be a lot more tolerant of noise at 8 or 9 pm at night when it is light out. (It might also be that kids are not in school when it stays light that late.)

Seriously, are we on DST now or off it? What is the purpose anymore except to annoy us?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Seriously, are we on DST now or off it? What is the purpose anymore except to annoy us?
    We are on DST now. The purpose is supposedly to reduce energy costs by having it be light outside for an extra hour in the evening when more people would use lights in the home.

I don't know if this is dst or not either, personally I don't much care which one we would stay with, just pick one.

I'd seriously considering voting for a candidate on a one issue platform if he were to be able to eliminate this craziness.

The propaganda guys knew people would not tolerate being told to get up an hour earlier so they came up with "time
    change".

[QUOTE=Brian Elfert;2387719]I am 100% dead set against getting rid of DST. I would be 100% for just staying on DST year round other than the pain it would cause for us computer folks who would have to patch everything to get rid of the biannual time change.

QUOTE]

Brian, simply change to GMT, it's what we use at work...........Rod.

Just go to GMT Mell and get rid of those pesky time zones as well..............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    We are on DST now. The purpose is supposedly to reduce energy costs by having it be light outside for an extra hour in the evening when more people would use lights in the home.
    LOL - That's politicians for ya.

This "extended" daylight savings time came about in 2005. Supposedly it saves more energy but little empirical data supports that claim. As unpopular as it is, it's surprising we don't return to the April/October route instead of the March/November one. Legislation allows to revert to the older model.