Thread: Disposal of Mineral Spirts / Brush Cleaner

Disposal of Mineral Spirts / Brush Cleaner

How do you dispose of spent mineral spirits and/or brush cleaner after you have cleaned brushes etc use for solvent based finishes?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I take mine to a city-run recycling/hazardous waste drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    How do you dispose of spent mineral spirits and/or brush cleaner after you have cleaned brushes etc use for solvent based finishes?

Thanks
    First, though...Let the used MS stand for a day or three. THe solids will precipitate out, leaving most of the solution clear [colored, but clear]. Pour that off and save it for next brush cleaning. I'll get the brush well-cleaned in that, and then use a very small amount of fresh MS as a final rinse.

THen - I let the solids sit there, the remaining solvent will flash off soon enough, and that just leaves semi-solid gloop.

Also - when I am doing a reasonably sized item, that decanted MS can be used for thinner in the varnish as/if needed - all that's there is the same chemistry as originally came out of that can of varnish. I can't see any harm in using it that way - never had any problems - but if I am screwing something up, somebody let me know, please.

Also - to minimize the total amount of MS required - I will clean the brush in the decanted solution, then suspend the brush in new MS - ready to go for the next coat. No need to completely clean a brush until it is going back on the shelf - I will leave it suspended like that for up to a week unused - then I either use it or clean it.

Bottom line - there should be a very, very small amount that needs to be disposed of, if you take the time to process it this way.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    THen - I let the solids sit there, the remaining solvent will flash off soon enough, and that just leaves semi-solid gloop.
    What do you do with this semi-solid goop?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

let it dry for a long time - week+ - then into the trash. I figger it is basically solids with almost no VOC content left.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You don't need any more info than what Kent posted. His method is exactly my process.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

For Mineral Spirits ... I do pretty much exactly what Kent says.

To the original poster's question about brush cleaner ... the term Brush Cleaner is very specific and a different product than Mineral Spirits. Brush Cleaner is primarily Toluene - aka methylbenzene - although less toxic than benzene. Exposure to Toluene vapors can impose toxic neurological effects - and it is highly volatile - it was used by F1 as a racing fuel and also as a jet fuel surrogate. Though it shows no known carcinogenic effects.

I use it - very occasionally - when resurrecting expensive brushes. It does the job extremely well. It too can be settled, decanted and saved for reuse. I have had situations where a tightened and sealed container completely volatolizes over six-months to a year if left unattended.