Thread: Adapter for 69mm spindle mount to 65mm spindle?

Adapter for 69mm spindle mount to 65mm spindle?

Anyone have an elegant solution for this?

My best idea is to get some 70mm aluminum tubing w/ a 2mm wall thickness, cut it to length, the put a 2mm slot along the length --- unfortunately, I can't find a supplier for small quantities of this.

Is there a metal-working tool which would allow me to put a suitable bend into a 2mm thick sheet?

Go to a machine shop and tell them what you need. Won't be really cheap probably, but saves having to buy a whole piece. If they have the size you want, it's a simple cutoff - you could probably slit it yourself...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I first thought spindle shaper but that is WAY big. Just curious what you are working with? Sounds awesome. Be careful.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks.

The idea was to get 70mm tubing as I noted, to adapt the Dewalt DWP-611 69mm spindle mount which is to be included in threw ShapeOko 3 so that it'll fit my 65mm Makita RT-0701 --- I figured if I could find a supplier at a decent length in small quantities I could make some money on the side selling to other people w/ Makitas (which are the mid-range option and I think the best value w/ an Elaire Corporation 1/8" precision collet).

Oh well, maybe I should break down, save, get a Dewalt, a Precise Bits collet set, and a Super PID so that I get to control spindle speed via the controller --- that's a chunk of change though, and I'm not convinced it's sufficiently better for my purposes.

If the mount is smaller than the one intended for the Bosch Colt (71 mm) then it should tighten down to hold the Makita, but I'd prefer not to stress the aluminum --- should I have that concern?

I seriously doubt it would be possible to collapse a single split clamp that amount. And if you managed to get the router snug in there, the hole would be so out of round it would likely rock side to side, if not even squeeze the router housing out of round.

70mm is almost exactly 2-3/4", but I didn't find any .080 wall tubing with a quick search. So you're stuck with either boring out a piece of heavier wall tubing (or machining from solid bar), or wrapping soft shim stock to build it up. .020 should form nicely with your bare hands. Don't try to make a continuous wrap as the overlap will bugger things up. Make 4 separate sleeves and align the gaps with the mount.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9536k18/=w9b5n3

Managed to find 2.75" 16 gauge aluminum tubing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARCNRTW/...X8F1YKJO&psc=1

0.065" == 1.651mm * 2 ==3.302 mm

which I'm hoping will be close enough --- if not I'll add the shim stock.

Thanks!