Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router behind a router - Home Network

Greg,
    I'm not totally clueless here.
    I can't pass you the correct info IF I don't know what you are wanting.
    The ATT router is and has been working perfectly....both wired and wireless. DNS works fine on ATT router as well. I'm simply trying to replace my old iBoss parental control router with a new router with much better wireless speeds and capabilities. The old router was working UNTIL ATT changed out the old U-Verse setup with the new Motorola NVG589 router.

I am at work right now but I'm willing to do what all you suggest...in the mean time, I'm conversing with people on the AT&T Internet Forum section about this as well as conversing via email with Buc Tools support.

I'm simply trying to tap the knowledgeable resources here on SMC about this to see if anybody has a solution to this issue. I am learning through all this but it's slow learning by force.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Chris,

This is over my head too but have you seen

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734
    It looks like the info needed to set up the Motorola box.

-Tom

Set up the internal router as a bridge.
    If you set them both up as routers, they must be on separate networks. Like 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x the third field (or octet) here designated by the 1 and the 2 -must- be different. The router should route between them. If not, you may need to set a static route. Doing it set up as routers mean the two networks may not be able to communicate back and forth. The inside one will be able to see the network the outside one is on, but not vice versa without some dancing. I could probably help setting up the routing, but it depends on the router.
    seriously, bridge the networks.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Set up the internal router as a bridge.
    If you set them both up as routers, they must be on separate networks. Like 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x the third field (or octet) here designated by the 1 and the 2 -must- be different. The router should route between them. If not, you may need to set a static route. Doing it set up as routers mean the two networks may not be able to communicate back and forth. The inside one will be able to see the network the outside one is on, but not vice versa without some dancing. I could probably help setting up the routing, but it depends on the router.
    seriously, bridge the networks.
    Paul,
    Thank you. Bridge the networks...if that's what I need to do, then I'll research how to do that and give it a try.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

What kind of routers are they? What models, and which firmwares? If you give me that info, I can try to look it up for you.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    What kind of routers are they? What models, and which firmwares? If you give me that info, I can try to look it up for you.
    U-Verse - Motorola NVG589 really new...only been installed in the last 3 months
    Buc Tools - I don't know as I'm at work. I have the Buc Tools Pro router.
    Dennis -

Issue resolved.
    AT&T router was rejecting the DNS request from the Buc router. The tech support guy from Buc Tools was spot on, remoted in, and fixed the issue.

Thanks everyone for listening to my whining and complaining.
    Dennis -

Glad it is working.

I typically stick the NVG589's into bridge mode.

Here is instructions on doing that, should this come up again:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-a...3552057#M39255

Cool. Seriously, the best way to do it is to bridge them, especially if you don't want to learn how to insert a static route into a network. I'm glad it's working!
    Paul

I wonder if anyone else thought this thread was about routers?

Boy, do I feel dumb. Good thing I am used to it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I wonder if anyone else thought this thread was about routers?

Boy, do I feel dumb. Good thing I am used to it.
    LOL..!!!!! Nobody thought this was about routers......but it was about..........routers.
    Dennis -