Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disston No7 Panel Saw.

Disston No7 Panel Saw.

With the inclusion of the English pattern traditional lambs tongue within its shape my personal preference does favor the No.7 handsaw over that found within the Disston's D7 series handsaws.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/7page.html

The following No.7 Panel Saw was owned by my late father. It has the H DISSTON & SONS medallion & etch that allows me to date this saws production to circa 1900 -1917.

It has a 22 inch saw plate; and is 10 ppi; with a crosscut tooth.

This saw has seen many years of service during my fathers working career as a certified Carpenter & Joiner; commencing at an early age as an apprentice in Scotland during the early 1950s under the tutelage of his employer, a Master Craftsman of that era.

The following compares the difference in the cut of the saw plate within the saw handle of this 1900-1917 circa Panel Saw to that of a D8 Panel Saw of a later 1917-1928 circa.

This final photo is of my fathers Panel Saw after its been resharpened, and a new stained finish applied to the handle.

regards Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 03-10-2015 at 9:01 AM.

Wonderful!

Blog Entries
    It looks like the one on my bench except your tote was and is in much better shape. It is my favorite cross cut saw.

I'm making a new handle for mine. I can't find the etch on my saw though. My saw still has the nib.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-10-2015 at 9:37 AM.

Stevie, a beautiful restoration and a tribute. I am going to dig out my grandfather's Disston 4 backsaw and do the same. It's from the late 1920s-early 1930s, 14" w/steel back, and a closed beech handle that looks like it was jig-sawed from a plank. Two cracks had been repaired with brads, but the plate, back and all the brass parts are in good shape. Thanks for the inspiration.

I like the look and heft of the Old no. 7s (pre '27 ?), and have a couple of those in my arsenal.

Hi Lowell. Paul Sellers also has a No.7 Panel Saw of the same appearance. He dates his at Circa 1848, but looking at the medallion, I would prefer to date it a later Circa 1896 - 1917. https://paulsellers.com/2011/05/a-lo...sston-handsaw/

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

I agree. The No.7 Panel Saw is a wonderful handsaw to use when its sharpened x cut. Look forward to viewing your new saw handle when its completed.

Not sure what the story is with the missing nib on my fathers handsaw.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    Stevie, a beautiful restoration and a tribute. I am going to dig out my grandfather's Disston 4 backsaw and do the same. It's from the late 1920s-early 1930s, 14" w/steel back, and a closed beech handle that looks like it was jig-sawed from a plank. Two cracks had been repaired with brads, but the plate, back and all the brass parts are in good shape. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hi Tony. Restoring your grandfathers backsaw sounds like an excellent project. Thank you for your feedback.

regards Stewie;

D7 and Disston #16's are my favorite saws, bar none. I have a couple of short D7's-18" & 20" (IIRC), with nibs intact. One is sharpened at 9PPI and the other at 12PPI. Handier than the new half-backs I have.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking saw Stewie.

Many of my saws came to me from a friend's estate. My D7 at around 8PPI doesn't get as much use as my D8 at 10PPi for crosscutting work.

They are all good saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have 2 #7s Stewie. I love them both. One is an 18" plate panel saw at 10tpi crosscut and the other is a 26" at 8tpi crosscut. Both were inherited and are in great shape with no need for restoration.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Stewie

That is a nice job, and a usefully-sized saw with a great history.
    The No 7 is interesting in that it is the only Disston model (of which I'm aware) wherein the 28" rip version of the saw, gets a different handle than the 26" and smaller versions.
    It is a beefier handle (sans lambs tongue), with room enough for a two-handed ripping grip.

Here are two of mine, for comparison:
    new_7s 016.jpg

Here is a smaller member of the immediate family- 20" crosscut. I also have an even shorter one, 17.5" that is filed as a rip- sounds like a strange configuration to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I have 2 #7s Stewie. I love them both. One is an 18" plate panel saw at 10tpi crosscut and the other is a 26" at 8tpi crosscut. Both were inherited and are in great shape with no need for restoration.
    Hi Dave. Sounds interesting. Were you able to define a date of manufacture on both these hand saws.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bohn View Post
    Here is a smaller member of the immediate family- 20" crosscut. I also have an even shorter one, 17.5" that is filed as a rip- sounds like a strange configuration to me.
    Hi Ray. That 20" hand saw is in excellent condition. Little sign its had much use. The shorter 17.5" is at an odd length. Possibly 18" when it left the Disston factory.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Stewie

That is a nice job, and a usefully-sized saw with a great history.
    The No 7 is interesting in that it is the only Disston model (of which I'm aware) wherein the 28" rip version of the saw, gets a different handle than the 26" and smaller versions.
    It is a beefier handle (sans lambs tongue), with room enough for a two-handed ripping grip.

Here are two of mine, for comparison:
    new_7s 016.jpg

Hi Joe. I was not aware of that fact with the No.7. Most interesting.

regards Stewie;