Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disston No7 Panel Saw.

Blog Entries
    I ran across my saw that is one of these in my till today. I had forgotten about it. If you read through the string, you will see where I made a new handle for mine.'
    If anyone is interested, I will post a picture of it. My saw has a nib on it. It cuts straight and fast.

I looked at the Disston Institute and the saw is a D-7. It looks like the saw shown in the Institute the second saw down from the top of the D7 section.
    I forgot that I had posted about this saw before. I made a test cut with it. It is a sweet cutting saw. It cuts straight and fast.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-02-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Stewie, your restoration work is excellent. The handle finish is very nice. There is always something special about having a tool that was part of your Father's life.

A bit of Disston 7 show and tell myself. Top one is 24", 5ppi rip from 1917-1927. The bottom one is 22", 7ppi rip from 1896-1917 (with unfortunately a drilled hang hole and a shortened top horn). Believe it or not, both were garage/estate sale finds and in surprisingly good shape. The etch on both are faint, but readable. Both perform extremely well and I find the "smaller" handle fits me better than some of the other Disston models.

IMG_0574.jpg

Blog Entries
    My saw is like the bottom one. My saw has the nib.

My handle is curly maple.

Does anybody know that the saw nib is for?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

Does anybody know that the saw nib is for?
    You're joking, right?

Blog Entries
    No, I'm not joking. As far as I know it has no use.

The funny part is that this one of those questions like: pins or tails first. Heated discussions have been the result without any real conclusions.

BTW, good job on the saw, Stewie! I wish my father had left some tools. At least he left quite a few interesting books.

The nib was about the same as a hood ornament, nothing else.
    No. 7 , 7ppi.JPG
    When last I looked, this was the No. 7 with a nib. The others in the shop (2) MAY be D-7s....
    This one is a 26" 7ppi crosscut.

Stewie,

Very nice job, the handle especially looks beautiful.

You can't beat the family connection with that saw.

The saw looked pretty good before the restoration, and was obviously well cared for. You made it better.

Stew

Blog Entries
    I own a 26" #7 rip of the same era in similar shape (the lams tongue on mine is chipped). Picked it out of an umbrella stand at an antique store somewhere in the Boston/South Shore area for $10 a few years back. I don't think it had made more than a handful of cuts in its life. A single pass of a file over each tooth and it was good as new, I did not need to reset the teeth.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

The post on the Disston #7 restoration dates back to 2015.

The following is a Disston D8 Panel Saw, 20" 10 ppi, that was refurbished during that same time period.

Note the reshaping of the saw handle.

before.

after.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-05-2017 at 6:09 AM.

Another beautiful restoration, Stewie. I like the more tapered ends on the horns...a nice look in general, and especially for when they are shortened from damage.

It appears you have modified the Gramercy saw vise with a bar of some sort. Can you tell me more about that; the reason, the material, how it was done?

Thanks!

Phil; the bulky look of the top and bottom horns represents a later period in time when Disston were producing sub standard saw looking saw handles. Same can be said with the overall appearance of the saw handles bottom rail.

As to the comments on the Gramercy Saw Vise; the jaw extension is a loose length of 90 degree aluminum angle that I lock into position when sharpening full length hand saws.

Stewie;

Stewie,

Are you left handed? Never saw anyone saw with waste to the left like is shown in the photo...occurred to me that perhaps lefties do it different!

Pete

Yes Pete; left handed.