Thread: cold press

cold press

I was hoping someone could give me some information on cold presses and how to make a manually operated one for my shop. I am hoping to use the press to laminate two or three, one inch pieces of hardwood(approximately 8 inches wide). Currently I have been using Jergensen bar clamps spaced every 10 to 12 inches but was hoping to find a more uniform and effective method. I have seen some of the hydraulically operated variety that are used in commercial operations but was hoping to find something more suited to a small shop. Any help or info would be very much appreciated.

Were you thinking along the lines of something like this?
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=19

There's a few replies of mine on that thread with bits and pieces of info, but I just grabbed the shortcut to the reply with the pics.
    Use the fence Luke

Thanks for the link Doug. I think I need to explain my situation better as I might not be using the correct terminology in 'cold press'. I am trying to laminate two or three pieces of wood together to make the rails and stiles for a door. I am trying to do this to add some stability to the wood and correct a warping problem associated with the climate. Therefore the 'cold press' needs to be able to accomodate the 80" rails. I am not sure if the design in the picture would work for this or not. Does anyone have any thoughts? -Mark

Doug's presses will work for you, but you will need 8 to 10 of them. With the price of the hardware and time to build them you may want to look into vacuum press setups.

Richard

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    In order to be a bona fide member of Saw Mill Creek the Terms of Service requires you to use a real first and last name. Please send Jackie Outten a Private Message with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.