Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Dog

Friendly Dog

We have three dogs and one that is extremely friendly. He loves people, dogs, cats, rabbits, deer, etc. He gets out from time to time and always brings back some friend he met. Well today, he brought back a new friend to the door, Mr. Skunk. He wasn't squirted and they seemed like best friends, but the friend wasn't allowed in the house. Luckily the other dogs didn't see his new friend.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-11-2015 at 7:34 PM.

Rich, I would say that is a VERY friendly dog .....by any chance.....did he take the Dale Carnegie course ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    We have three dogs and one that is extremely friendly. He love people, dogs, cats, rabbits, deer, etc. He gets out from time to time and always brings back some friend he met. Well today, he brought back a new friend to the door, Mr. Skunk. He wasn't squirted and they seemed like best friends, but the friend wasn't allowed in the house. Luckily the other dogs didn't see his new friend.
    I wonder how the heck he convinced the skunk to follow him home?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

polarbear.jpg Many years ago, National Geographic had a series of photos... Polar Bear meets Husky. Your thread reminded me of that.

Wow that's a first!

I have a friend whos dog likes to be sprayed for some unknown reason - I reckon that that's worse.

In the summer there is a turtle that sits on the back patio and suns, but he sits right next to Bear (the dog). At times Bear will go out for a stroll and return with several dog friends, mostly females. Never have figured out why he's such a friend magnet. My wife has an expression about him, "everyone loves the Bear." He's not much of a fighter though.

Here is a picture of him in the shop and with his sister. Bear's on the lower step:

Bear Peak.jpg DD Bear 2 Y:O.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 03-10-2015 at 9:19 PM.

Bear is a lover not a fighter.
    Just make sure you have a good supply of tomato juice in the house,just in case.
    We have a family of skunks near by,I don't know exactly where their home is all I know is every once in a while my neighbor's cat bothers one of the skunks and we get the benefit of their pungent spray for a whole night .

That had to be a "Holy cow" moment when you opened up the door and looked down.

I had one of mine get squirted yesterday - I think the skunk was rummaging around in the compost bin, and got tired of Rosie circling and barking, so he cut loose.

Fortunately we got to her right away to bathe her - I've learned the hard way the longer you wait, the worse it is. We just use Dawn detergent, over and over. Took 4 good latherings to get it off.

It's 36 hours later and you can still smell the residue outside from 100 yards. You were lucky.

Ken

We have a rescued bloodhound with the same type of personality. About a month ago she was standing at the back door waiting to be let in from her last potty of the day... with a live possum in her mouth. She was wagging her tail with that 'look what I found' look on her face. My wife told her no and to drop it, so the dog went out in the yard and dropped Mr. Possum with a "plop". Next morning it was gone so we assume it was living up to its name.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Bear is a lover not a fighter.
    Just make sure you have a good supply of tomato juice in the house,just in case.
    We have a family of skunks near by,I don't know exactly where their home is all I know is every once in a while my neighbor's cat bothers one of the skunks and we get the benefit of their pungent spray for a whole night .
    I can tell you from personal experience that all tomato juice does is turn the fur on your pet a red color and make the animal and you unhappy. It does nothing to even dilute the odor. The best solution is:
    1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
    Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
    Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
    Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
    For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I can tell you from personal experience that all tomato juice does is turn the fur on your pet a red color and make the animal and you unhappy. It does nothing to even dilute the odor. The best solution is:
    1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
    Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
    Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
    Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
    For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.
    I used this in on two of our dachshunds. It worked pretty well, it also works as a hair bleaching agent in red dachshunds which is funny to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I wonder how the heck he convinced the skunk to follow him home?
    Skunks do not appear to be afraid of anything. They seem quite friendly as long as they are not threatened.

Steve

Unfortunately the skunk came back to visit Bear. They were touching nose to nose with the fence between them. Bear was wagging his tail. Guess they are new friends, but that's better than the alternative. I don't want to yell at Bear with his new friend to protect him.

I was cutting the grass one day and all of a sudden noticed 3 little skunks and their mother chasing after the tractor. They did this for about 5 minutes then they meandered away.

They only "attack" when they get spooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    Fortunately we got to her right away to bathe her - I've learned the hard way the longer you wait, the worse it is. We just use Dawn detergent, over and over. Took 4 good latherings to get it off.
    Ken
    Nah. That's just how long it takes your nose to get used to the smell...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain